Author Topic: Question please  (Read 801 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Question please
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Hi,
Lately my wife has expressed interest in having a Derringer in .22 mag.
I was looking at the bond arms website yesterday but didn't see one in that caliber.
Am I blind?  Is there such a thing offered by bond arms?

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Question please
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:50:51 PM »
Suggestion: Instead, search GunBroker.com for a Hi-Standard derringer in .22 Magnum. (It was made in .22 LR and .22 Magnum.)

The Hi-Standard (no longer made, but not a collectors' gun) is double-action-only: All you gotta do is pull the trigger. Two trigger pulls = two shots.

I have one in .22 LR. It's easy to shoot defensively: Use your "social" finger to operate the trigger, while your index finger lies along the barrel as an aid in pointing. At very close range, it's hard to miss with it. (It's a "get the heck offa me" gun.) There's recoil, but not much.

The Hi-Standard derringer is about the same size as the Bond Arms model, but it's somewhat thinner. It fits into a pocket quite well.
The best part is that there's no safety to deal with, and no hammer to cock for each shot. You just pull it out, and "BANG!"
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 06:05:38 AM »
To back up the derringer you might also consider a .22 like the little Berettas. They won't hit as hard but you'll have another six or eight rounds (can't remember capacity) to drive in if you need it.

I'd rather you look at a .32 at the least but I'd also rather you have a gun than not. Beats a pointed stick in my view under most conditions.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:09:55 AM »
I'm with you guys on all points.

My wife is so good hearted, so quick to give someone "the shirt off her back", and so loving and good to me (not to mention a very painful wrist issue...to the point that she won't even shoot her pink .380 any longer) that whenever she wants anything special, be it a gun, article of clothing, whatever...I go out of my way to try and make it happen for her.

She's always wanted a Derringer  (me too, but that's another matter...a matter of a .44spl, or .45acp), and she thinks a .22 might not recoil painfully for her.

I do agree, but we are arming my wife here, after all.

I've mentioned to her more than once that a Derringer is NOT NOT NOT an "accurate" firearm, and only effective at very close ranges.

She will see the first time we got to the range with it, if and when she gets one.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.