Author Topic: I Shot the New Ruger American Today!  (Read 866 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
I Shot the New Ruger American Today!
« on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:57 AM »
My local range and gun club had a new Ruger American pistol. I decided to take advantage of my membership and ran a magazine through this pistol.  It was quite dirty because many before me had also tried it out.

I was really hoping for an epiphany, but I had to settle for disappointment. All shots taken were at seven yards distance.

For my hands, the grip is too squared off and regardless of how I tried to adjust my grip, it was just not comfortable; I kept pulling my shots left. Perhaps more time with the pistol?  As a comparison, I tried the Ruger SR9 that the range has for rental. All of my shots with this pistol was in a vertical line, as I intended for them to be, and no more than 2" of spacing (width) between shots (a full magazine worth).

The Ruger American felt, well, clunky and slide heavy to me.  If you get a chance to shoot one, please do so. Perhaps your experience will be better than mine.

Personally, I will take the Ruger SR9, even with its magazine disconnect, over the Ruger American.

As another comparison, the Springfield XD9 compact was also shot.  Although there is a lot of take up in the trigger, the trigger break was crisp and all shots grouped well, unlike the Ruger American.

And, before you say something, my Son-In-Law also shot the Ruger American and experienced the same thing.  The first couple of hits were acceptable and after that impacts started wandering all over the place.

I will say that the Ruger American's trigger is nice; a little take-up and a clean break. However, we were not impressed by the performance of the Ruger American.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: I Shot the New Ruger American Today!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »
My youngest son  (30) got a Ruger American for his birthday last year.

I held it but did not get to shoot it yet.

Seems like an ok rifle.

I'm not sure I would have picked one, given the available choices, but still ok I think.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
My youngest son  (30) got a Ruger American for his birthday last year.

I held it but did not get to shoot it yet.

Seems like an ok rifle.

I'm not sure I would have picked one, given the available choices, but still ok I think.

The Ruger American "rifle" is a new piece; I bought one in .223 remington )review @ http://guntoters.com/blog/2015/01/25/ruger-american-model-6913-223-remington-rifle/).

The Ruger American "pistol" is another story.  Mongo no like; grip bite hand! Hand not good when bit!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 02:45:13 PM »
Oh I thought. ...

Gulp.

Too many days with continuous 3.5yr old

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:15:57 PM »
Oh I thought. ...

Gulp.

Too many days with continuous 3.5yr old

No problem! I put up with a grumpy sixty-seven year old every day and he wears me out.

I really like the Ruger American rifle in .223 Remington, although it is a master blaster, When putting .223 rounds through an AR, you don't realize how much muzzle flash there is because of the flash suppressor.  I was lighting up my scope with the RA at the indoor range. I probably would not notice it at an outdoor range - except in low light.  If I didn't already have rifles in .308, I would buy the Ruger American.  I would probably drool over a Ruger American rifle in .30-06 with a full, Mannlicher stock like on this CZ 455.

[attach=1]

I just have a thing for these stocks and have a Ruger 10/22 with one. So what if they are not free-floated or bedded - neither am I!

Lest I digress, the Ruger American pistol seems like it will be a good pistol in 9mm or .45.  I feel that Ruger has tried to take the best from many and came up with the Ruger American pistol.  It was just not a pistol that I would bring home - not because of quality but of fit in my hand.