Author Topic: Preparing for cold-weather operations  (Read 2984 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Preparing for cold-weather operations
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:27:01 AM »
As a practical matter the title of this sub-forum probably needs to change because I am starting to run out of ideas for things to suggest on a monthly basis. If you have something you would like to see addressed by way of a drill or exercise, let me know and I'll see what I can do. That said:

I wear light gloves pretty much any time I'm on the range. Got in the habit of that a long time ago. The difference between the gloves and bare hands doesn't appear to be enough to affect gun-handling for now especially since I run dry-practice without gloves and do way more of that than I do shooting. (It's been an ongoing experiment in a way, going weeks to months without going loud and then seeing what happens on the range.)

Given that fall and winter are coming (and officially or not already in some places) the exercise this time seems appropriate, to wit: Put your gloves on as soon as you get up and keep them on until bedtime. At the least, pick a period of time or a task you normally do and put your gloves on and just do everything you normally do in that time or do that task whatever it is without taking the gloves off. Simple as that.

What this should do is enhance your dexterity and sensitivity with the gloves on and give you more facility with weapon-handling with the gloves on. Something that could come in handy when you need to deploy the weapon without it freezing itself on to your hand.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Preparing for cold-weather operations
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 11:05:59 AM »
Normally, I am wearing 1/2 finger gloves at the range.  I found that the Harbinger series of weightlifting gloves offer good protection.Lately, I have also been dry-firing while using these glove (in anticipation of using them at the course, perhaps).

I also have a set of full-finger hunting gloves that provide protection in the palm and thumb area where you would normally grip a rifle; the fingertips are also padded.  Some pistols provide enough space within the trigger guard for gloved hands - up to a limit.  Now would be a good time to test your glove-to-gun fit before you commit to wearing gloves in colder weather.

With the trigger housing on a 1911, which does not allow a lot of room for a gloved hand, it takes a conscience effort to keep the shooting finger pressed to the front of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.  The padding of the glove will allow a little movement without engaging the trigger; however, that movement is little indeed.  The padding on the trigger finger will also make it seem that the trigger pull is lighter than it actually is.

Your advice is well founded.  Fortunately, and in our neck of the woods, I rarely find myself wearing gloves due to the mild Autumn and Winter temperatures.  Some folks who are north of us probably do wear gloves more often than not when the temperature drops.

Gloves do; however, interwqfaef waofr moh typepto!  ;D
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
Now THAT'S funny!  ;D

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 11:26:32 AM »
As a practical matter the title of this sub-forum probably needs to change because I am starting to run out of ideas for things to suggest on a monthly basis. If you have something you would like to see addressed by way of a drill or exercise, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

As you say, colder months are ahead.  Some drills while wearing heavy clothing, or multiple layers of clothing might be appropriate.

Depending on the temperature, I find myself leaning toward wearing several of my non-tactical type vests.  If the temperature dictates that I need a coat, I can usually be found wearing either my Outback oil-skin waist coat or a barn coat with the vest serving as a liner.  My EDC is normally tucked IWB and hidden beneath the vest (and coat).  That is a lot of layers to get out of the way while I'm getting to the pistol.  This is one of the reasons that I prefer shoulder-holster carry in cold weather; I can get to my pistol (or revolver) quicker without having to move the weight of winter outerwear out of the way to the firearm.

Coming up with some good weapon deployment techniques for winter carry would be beneficial.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
I like gloves.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

pop pop

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:21:38 PM »
Almost never wear gloves.

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:28:48 PM »
Back in "the day" I wore nomex gloves that were issued to huey pilots.  The gloves were skin tight and very flexible.
They did not, however, do much for keeping hands "warm"...but better than nothing.

I remember pondering that hinge at the bottom of the M16 trigger assembly...that would allow for shooting while wearing real cold weather gloves.

Hummm.

To this day I'm glad I never had to use that hinge for real!

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:28:52 PM »
Edited to delete duplicate post.
Strange
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 07:09:51 AM by oldranger53 »

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
When I was competing, we practiced every weekend, rain, shine, snow, or hurricane.
The good part of practicing in the snow is that it's really easy to find your empties afterward: Each one is in its own, separate hole.

We wore gloves when it was cold, but not to shoot.
All of the shooting was done bare-handed.

When it was really, really cold, we all shot faster.
The sooner to get back to our gloves, of course.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 03:45:20 AM »
Ultra-light triggers and gloves do not mix well.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
True, that!

See (hah) you Wednesday!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

oldranger53

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2015, 05:53:04 PM »
Speaking of cold weather...

I took our two high powered rifles up to the range this evening, about EENT.
Temps were about 35f...and drizzling rain, overcast and wind gusts to about 20 mph.  It was uncomfortable, much like it will be during a deer hunt we have planned pretty soon.
My thoughts were to be as close as possible to actual conditions while making sure the bullets go where the sights say they'll go.

I learned a couple things.

I wore lightweight gloves for the first half of the shoot (about 20 rounds for each the 30-06 and the .30-.30), and I learned that I FELT better shooting without the gloves than with...but no obvious affect on accuracy.

Speaking of accuracy...I also learned that I can no longer see the front bead of the sights in low light well enough.  Tonight I'm gonna apply a touch of the glow-on luminescent paint to both rifle front sights!  Holy Molly....I didn't know I couldn't see as well as a few years ago.

Oh well, that's my early season cold weather range report.

Ciao

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2015, 03:45:21 AM »
wearing gloves while shooting does take some getting used to, as you do lose some tactile sensitivity with the trigger finger.

I like wearing gloves with the .30-30 because they help pad the hand for operating the lever (I'm a woosey, alright!).  When I'm running a bolt-gun, and since I use the web of the right thumb to work the bolt, I don't mind the extra padding.

Ayup! Those front sights do get blurry.  I mounted a rear "peep" sight on my pre-64 Marlin .30-30. That made a world of difference. My post-64 marlin is equipped with a 3-9x40 scope; I have come to learn to love optics.  While I do have a few long guns that are not scoped, the majority of them have some sort of optic.

Good luck on your hunt.  While I can't be there physically, I will be there in spirit. Look over your right shoulder every now and then while on the hunt - you just might see me grinning.  ;D

oldranger53

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 12:21:59 PM »
wearing gloves while shooting does take some getting used to, as you do lose some tactile sensitivity with the trigger finger.

I like wearing gloves with the .30-30 because they help pad the hand for operating the lever (I'm a woosey, alright!).  When I'm running a bolt-gun, and since I use the web of the right thumb to work the bolt, I don't mind the extra padding.

Ayup! Those front sights do get blurry.  I mounted a rear "peep" sight on my pre-64 Marlin .30-30. That made a world of difference. My post-64 marlin is equipped with a 3-9x40 scope; I have come to learn to love optics.  While I do have a few long guns that are not scoped, the majority of them have some sort of optic.

Good luck on your hunt.  While I can't be there physically, I will be there in spirit. Look over your right shoulder every now and then while on the hunt - you just might see me grinning.  ;D
Roger that!

Although I was all "alone" at the range yesterday, I had a sense of someone else being there!
Hee Hee!  I'll bet that was you!

LEJoe

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 02:43:12 PM »
Since moving here to Florida from the south shore of Lake Erie in Ohio, my whole program has changed and continues to change. That's not a bad thing. Gloves are still considered, but they are of a lot lighter weight.

oldranger53

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 02:46:00 PM »
Today I'm giving both rifles a good going over.
Having fun with Hoppe's 9 while watching the first snow of the season fall out the windows.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2015, 02:57:23 PM »
Having fun with Hoppe's 9 while watching the first snow of the season fall out the windows.

You keep sniffing that stuff and you will be the one falling out of the windows.  ;D

oldranger53

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2015, 04:48:29 PM »

You keep sniffing that stuff and you will be the one falling out of the windows.  ;D
No kidding.

I should have said something like..."watching out the windows, while the first snow of the season falls..." or something like that!

Hoppe's 9.
No smell like it!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »

No kidding.

I should have said something like..."watching out the windows, while the first snow of the season falls..." or something like that!

Hoppe's 9.
No smell like it!

I use Ballistol quite a bit. To me, it smells like black licorice.  My wifey has a different opinion.