Author Topic: How About a 10-Round Speed Strip For Your Revolver?  (Read 793 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
How About a 10-Round Speed Strip For Your Revolver?
« on: October 20, 2015, 08:22:32 AM »
The challenge of carrying a revolver is capacity and carrying enough ammunition to support the platform.

While not an original idea, this system of carrying spare ammunition just might appeal to you.

http://guntoters.com/blog/2015/10/20/a-ten-round-speed-strip-for-your-snub-nose-revolver/
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: How About a 10-Round Speed Strip For Your Revolver?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 01:38:40 PM »
Reassure me that, when you pull one of your 10-round speed strips up out of its pouch, several rounds are not left in the pouch, having been stripped out by the grip of the pouch's lining.

It is my experience, but only with M14 stripper-clips, that cartridges are not truly securely held by the stripper-clip's internal spring. Is it thus with SKS clips, too?

(Springfield stripper-clips have little tabs at each end, which pretty securely retain the cartridges...if the stripper-clips haven't been used too much.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: How About a 10-Round Speed Strip For Your Revolver?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
Reassure me that, when you pull one of your 10-round speed strips up out of its pouch, several rounds are not left in the pouch, having been stripped out by the grip of the pouch's lining.

It is my experience, but only with M14 stripper-clips, that cartridges are not truly securely held by the stripper-clip's internal spring. Is it thus with SKS clips, too?

(Springfield stripper-clips have little tabs at each end, which pretty securely retain the cartridges...if the stripper-clips haven't been used too much.)

The same is true with .223/5.56x45 NATO stripper clips that have the tabs on each end of the clip.

With the four SKS Stripper Clips that I tried, no rounds were left in the "FrankenMora's pouch.  I can't guarantee that it will not happen, however.  The clips that I tried seemed to have good tension, and that may be the key. I would have no qualms about keeping a couple of them in a vest or cargo pants pocket rather than loose rounds. Most importantly, the primers are protected.

It also must be said that due to the soft material of the Remora Holster there is nothing to 'grab' the rounds that might pull an end round from the clips grip.

As I said at the end of the article, it is up to the user to find out what brand of SKS Stripper Clips work the best.  I purchased most of mine from Midway and I have not had any problems with them.  I also tried re-loading a Ruger GP100 with them with no problems experienced.  The two or three rounds nearest the center of the stripper clip seems to be tighter than the rest, but gave easily enough.

The first five can be dispensed and then then the stripper clip can be turned around so that the clip is a better handle.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:32:36 PM by Taurian »
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.