Author Topic: Coonan .357 magnum 1911!!  (Read 1584 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Coonan .357 magnum 1911!!
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »
I never have cared for the Desert Eagle in any caliber.  While I am amazed at the design and engineering of the pistol, the gun never felt right in my hands.

[attach=1]Now imagine, if you will, a 260-grain .45 caliber JHP going downrange at about 1200fps with 831 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle of a 6 1/2" barrel.  That was the L.A.R Grizzly Win Mag and I was fortunate enough to own one in the late 1980s.  I even qualified with the department as a LEO to carry one off duty (not that I would have, but we had to qualify with anything we might shoot while off duty - just in case we had to shoot some BG).  One of my best friends, at the time, also had one and we cleared the range every time we pulled them out to qualify with them.  The L.A.R Grizzly Win Mag weighed a whopping 53 ounces loaded (I was in shape back then).  Unfortunately, I had to sell mine during hard times and it is a pistol that I regret selling to this day. The .45 Winchester Magnum was the top round in its day until it fell to the .45 Casull and 50 Action Express.

[attach=2]Eventually L.A.R folded and the Desert Eagle is still around - but it is being challenged by another company in the .357 magnum pistol market - Coonan - and it is one heck of a pistol for the .357 magnum cartridge within a 1911-style frame - as was the L.A.R Grizzly Win Mag.

If I had the money, one of these would grace the safe; The Coonan .357 magnum is definitely not your papas pocket pistol.  (Note that the L.A.R Grizzly Win Mag can still be found, but for more money that I ever thought of paying for one.)

Watch Hickock45 put the Coonan .357 magnum through its paces:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKM5B7ykQBs

Then, visit the Coonan showroom: http://www.coonaninc.com/pistol-showroom/

The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Coonan .357 magnum 1911!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
NO
Sorry, some things just shouldn't be.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:58:58 PM »
NO

That's what they said about "Plastic Pistols" and see what we have today.  ;D
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
NO

ok.
case in point.
I agree.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

oldranger53

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
NO

ok.
case in point.
I agree.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>