Author Topic: Hickock45 Puts the Ruger SP101 Through It's Paces!  (Read 1947 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Hickock45 Puts the Ruger SP101 Through It's Paces!
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:20:58 PM »
 I recently posted an article that, essentially, bad mouthed revolvers.  Now, there are some people who don’t take kindly to that, and I am one of them.

The Ruger SP101 in 2.25” barrel has adorned my side on quite a few occasions.  As a carry revolver, it is heavy and that is a given, but a good holster like the Crossbreed Super Tuck holds the SP101 tight into the body and a good pair of Perry suspenders helps to support the load.

My normal “Load Out” with the SP101 is; 5-rounds of Remington .38 special 158-grain LHP +P (chambered), two speed loaders of Remington .38 special 158-grain LHP +P, and two speed strips of 125-grain .357 magnum Winchester PDX1.  With Hogue over-molded grips, these rounds (even the PDX1) are very manageable out of the SP101; albeit the muzzle and side flash from the Winchester PDX1 ammunition is impressive – especially at about 1325 fps at the muzzle.  That’s why they call them “Magnums?”

Most of us know that the .38 special/.357 magnum rounds can save our bacon – and you know we love our bacon.

Just lately, Hickock45 put the SP101 2.25” through its paces with another display of fine marksmanship.  It makes me want to take the XDs off the hip for awhile and don the SP101; I don’t feel “under gunned" with either of them.  (Note: I wish that I had bought the 3" version, but it did not come out until well after I had bought my 2.25" version :'( )

Visit Hickock45 with the SP101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PGOyvafwo
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 07:23:27 AM by Taurian »
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Hickock45 Puts the Ruger SP101 Trought It's Paces!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 04:10:07 PM »
I recently posted an article that, essentially, bad mouthed revolvers.  Now, there are some people who don’t take kindly to that, and I am one of them.

The Ruger SP101 in 2.25” barrel has adorned my side on quite a few occasions.  As a carry revolver, it is heavy and that is a given, but a good holster like the Crossbreed Super Tuck holds the SP101 tight into the body and a good pair of Perry suspenders helps to support the load.

My normal “Load Out” with the SP101 is; 5-rounds of Remington .38 special 158-grain LHP +P (chambered), two speed loaders of Remington .38 special 158-grain LHP +P, and two speed strips of 125-grain .357 magnum Winchester PDX1.  With Hogue over-molded grips, these rounds (even the PDX1) are very manageable out of the SP101; albeit the muzzle and side flash from the Winchester PDX1 ammunition is impressive – especially at about 1325 fps at the muzzle.  That’s why they call them “Magnums?”

Most of us know that the .38 special/.357 magnum rounds can save our bacon – and you know we love our bacon.

Just lately, Hickock45 put the SP101 2.25” through its paces with another display of fine marksmanship.  It makes me want to take the XDs off the hip for awhile and don the SP101; I don’t feel “under gunned" with either of them.  (Note: I wish that I had bought the 3" version, but it did not come out until well after I had bought my 2.25" version :'( )

Visit Hickock45 with the SP101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4PGOyvafwo

Nice.
I keep wondering how lead bullets somehow are better than semi-jacketed round nose, or hollow point bullets?
That famous (infamous?) FBI load, with the lead hollow point wadcutter projectiles could possibly be "better" than other offerings...how is that?

Is it penetration verses expansion?  Is it politics?
I'm not convinced either way.
Someone help me!  PLEASE!  I'm so confused!

By the way, I saw a sign yesterday saying that if I'm "confused", I should call 911.  Somehow, I don't think it applies in this case!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:46:52 PM »
The standard 158-grain RN bullets were carried by many LEO in the early days.  The SWCHP (Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Point) was selected because of expansion, although the power behind the bullet stayed the same as with the earlier round.  The SWCHP in +P is much better at getting deeper into the body while expanding more because of the increased velocity.

SJHP and JHP rounds are, of course, jacketed rounds that explore the body more as they travel into it.  The jacket also control expansion to a degree.  The reason that I carry SWCHP is to better control over penetration, although the round is quite capable of reaching vitals - but not to the 12 inch "minimum" penetration.  It is still a viable UCAP round to me - but I am old school.  The object is to dump all of the bullets energy in the body; round nose bullets tend to go through the body if they are not stopped by bone.  Thus, the hollow point was developed - better expansion and less penetration.  With today's ammunition the BG gets the betterment of both.

When departments switched to the 9mm as their choice for pistols, and due to the velocities of 9mm ammunition, jacketing of the bullet prevented leading of the bores of service weapons; jacket technology was really still in its infancy at that time.

With that said "lead fowling" may not be caused by velocity alone, bullet hardness may also play in the game. I had always been told to keep lead bullets in the 850 - 900fps range and not to exceed 1,000fps with them.  A soft bullet, even when fired within this range, could still cause "lead fowling" but this could also be caused by the bullet's fit within the bore.

Whenever I am shooting lead bullets out of a revolver at the range, I always try to follow up with some jacketed bullets to help clean any "lead" out of the barrel.  I don't know if that works, but I have not had to clean lead deposits out of my barrels in a long time.

That's my opinion and others may differ.

Are lead bullets more effective than jacketed rounds? Maybe, depending upon the situation in which they are used.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 05:42:51 AM »
Thanks Taurian!

Although I do not worship at the throne of any human, group of humans, agencies, et al... I do pay attention when the FBI announces or publishes data about one thing or another.
I suppose I figure the FBI has vested interest in their agents, and the agent's capabilities in the field.  And, I figure the FBI isn't limited by funding, like many other agencies or individuals would be.

I think the one exception where I don't buy into that, is the "single shooter" experiments regarding the JFK assassination.  Eh, there's limits to how much "data" I'll believe, especially when the 8mm film absolutely shows splatter from the head shot going the wrong direction from where they SAY it originated from....oops, that comes close to hy-jacking the thread....
too early this morning.

sorry

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:55:18 AM »
Thanks Taurian!

Although I do not worship at the throne of any human, group of humans, agencies, et al... I do pay attention when the FBI announces or publishes data about one thing or another.
I suppose I figure the FBI has vested interest in their agents, and the agent's capabilities in the field.  And, I figure the FBI isn't limited by funding, like many other agencies or individuals would be.

I think the one exception where I don't buy into that, is the "single shooter" experiments regarding the JFK assassination.  Eh, there's limits to how much "data" I'll believe, especially when the 8mm film absolutely shows splatter from the head shot going the wrong direction from where they SAY it originated from....oops, that comes close to hy-jacking the thread....
too early this morning.

sorry

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Mr. Rate: Whoever took that shot's probably dead now. That's how conspiracy works. Them boys on the grassy knoll, they were dead within three hours. Buried in the damn desert. Unmarked graves out past Terlingua.

Nick Memphis: And you know this for a fact?

Mr. Rate: Still got the shovel!

- Quotes from "Shooter"  ;D

I think that we get caught up in "bullet" and "caliber" discussions more than we need to. 

My Son-In-Law is convinced that he now needs a 10mm.  I asked him why?  He said that it was a much more powerful round than the 9mm he now carries (he switched from a .45 acp to a 9mm [Ruger LC9s Pro]).  I asked him why he would want a round that would make him a worse shooter than what he is.  His response was "I don't care, I just want a 10mm."  I think that I created a monster in introducing him to firearms  ;) .

For me, I will continue to carry the .45 in whatever variation of pistol will push them.  The way I look at it? Since I only carry 6 rounds loaded in the XDs, I had better learn how to use them wisely.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 02:29:59 PM »
...My Son-In-Law is convinced that he now needs a 10mm.  I asked him why?  He said that it was a much more powerful round than the 9mm he now carries...I asked him why he would want a round that would make him a worse shooter than what he is.  His response was "I don't care, I just want a 10mm."  I think that I created a monster in introducing him to firearms  ;) ...

Perhaps it's time to exercise some control over that SIL.
Tell him that you'll help him find the perfect 10mm for him...if he first convinces you that he can shoot well enough to be able to handle it.
Then, think-up a few really difficult pistol-shooting exercises. (Cooper's "Advanced Military" match comes immediately to mind. Time should be an issue in each stage.) Let him prove to himself that he isn't quite ready for a more powerful pistol, and that he needs to practice with his 9mm more.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."