Author Topic: It is your home they want into....they will lie to get in.  (Read 1615 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
It is your home they want into....they will lie to get in.
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:34:52 PM »
http://concealednation.org/2015/03/home-invasion-gone-wrong-do-you-answer-your-door-armed-and-ready-to-go/

ORANGE COUNTY, FL — A pair of robbers disguised as delivery men gain easy access into a home in Florida where they tie up a woman at gunpoint in front of her child and begin to rob the house.

So it begs the question, do you answer your door armed and ready to go? If so, what are the steps you go through when you answer the door for someone unknown to you? Do you open the door all the way? Do you stay inside or do you step outside?
Time will tell.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
Re: It is your home they want into....they will lie to get in.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »
I have a security door, that's locked at all times, you can not see in my home when I open the door, when the door bell rings, I'll crack open the door, just enough for me to see out, find out who's their, my hand resting on my EDC, when I have confirmed the person/people at my door are there on legit reasons, at this time I'll open the door, if their there just trying to sell me something, I simply say "not interested" and close the door, plus my 97 LB German Shepard is usually right there barking, he's a pretty good deterrent
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 10:15:54 AM »
I have Larson Security Doors (google it) also. One can purchase them at Lowe's and have them installed for $450.00 per door, or buy it and install it yourself for $350. I have 4 of them. They lock in the same way as a gun safe with a 3 point locking system. They have break proof full view double pain glass with a 3M safety shield between.  they are also equipped with substancial hevy metel frames. My son-in-law and I installed ours. They are heavy and it takes two people to safely handle them.

If I answer my door, and open the solid oak wood door, I will not open the security door but chat through it closed. If I know the person of course I will open. I live in the country and will not take a chance for anyone. If someone wants to use my phone I make the call for them.

That is my take!
Yes, I am armed 24/7. Why have it if you can't lay a hand on it EVERYWHERE,  where it is allowed.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:59:55 PM »
I guess that we can only rely upon the pistol I carry, 24/7, and our at-home shotgun.
Jean doesn't carry a gun, normally, when we're here on our island.

Security doors would mean little to us, since at least half of our home's walls are glass.
But the sound of breaking glass will certainly be a good warning signal.

Truth? We rely upon living on an island.
We know almost everybody who lives here full-time, so that is not a security issue.
And visiting bad guys would still have to get in the ferry line and wait for an hour, to make a getaway.

We have petty, 'teenage crime like vandalism, but it's rare.
The worst we've had was "the Barefoot Bandit," but he never bothered people, and he got caught.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

RayMich

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
I do not open the door for any solicitors.

Anyone coming into my home is either a relative or someone specifically invited by me. I instruct anyone who is planning to come inside for any reason to call first. If you don't call first and I don't recognize you ringing the bell, I simply do NOT answer the door. If anyone chooses to break in, they will be greeted by a hail of tiny fast moving projectiles headed their way at 1250 to 1600 fps.

Police response to a 911 call can take as long as 15 minutes to an hour, but the response from a .357 Magnum is 1450 - 1600 fps.

- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:34 PM »
Uhhh most of my life I thought about how great it would be if some BG or group of BGs were to break in wherever I happened to be at the time.  (Grin)
But these days I really don't want all the hassle, mess, and trauma associated with it.

But to answer the question, yes. Whenever a knock comes to the door it's "red alert" until the visitor is identified as a non threat.

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 05:19:09 AM »
If I do answer the door, I am armed but it is concealed. Security doors are always locked.

I have an early warning system; a motion detector at the end of the driveway, a 60-pound lap dog, and security lights, cameras, and monitors (upstairs and downstairs in my office). 

Then, there is the little red button on the alarm control units that summons the police or fire department - whichever is needed to clean up the mess that is made after someone attempts a home invasion while I am at home.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.