Author Topic: Geogia Homeowner Defends His Castle  (Read 1237 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Geogia Homeowner Defends His Castle
« on: March 05, 2015, 12:55:59 PM »
Georgia Homeowner Exchanges ’30 To 40 Shots’ With Pair Of Burglars

Read more at http://www.westernjournalism.com/georgia-homeowner-exchanges-30-40-shots-pair-burglars/#6hDXpB0WuH9BTRuJ.99
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

LEJoe

Re: Geogia Homeowner Defends His Castle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
So, does this bring up the question again of "how much ammo is enough ammo?" I think it does.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 03:02:51 PM »
So, does this bring up the question again of "how much ammo is enough ammo?" I think it does.

It also begs the question, "How much range time is needed?" and "How much training is needed?"

I try to shoot the EDC (Springfield XDs 4.0) as much as I can, but I find myself carrying other firearms to the range as well.  I don't shoot a lot when I am at the range; just enough to keep familiar with the weapon.

I have a friend that usually will send 150 rounds downrange very quickly with his AR while I am still shooting a 20-round magazine; he is concentrating on firepower and I am concentrating on accuracy, breathing, trigger pull, and ensuring that the sight is where I want it to be. I'm slow and cautious and he's fast and furious.

I also have security doors, which are kept locked at all times. This helps prevent someone just trying to kick in the door.

We also know who to expect at our house.  Our in-laws know to call before coming over and we do the same for them.

We also have very vigilant dogs and a camera system. Uninvited visitors face the wrath of "Rudy", the lead motion detector of dogs.

I don't have to go past my belt line to retrieve my EDC.

This incident has given me pause to consider the Glock G21 or G17 for house carry; however, and leave the XDs for concealment while visiting public places.

The article does not state when the homeowner started shooting. It is inferred in the article; however, that he shot first ("As they retreated toward their vehicle, he explained that the couple began firing back at him."). However, in the video, it was stated that the perp was the first to fire. Thankfully, the homeowner was the better shot. 

It sounds like a good shoot to me!

Now, to find the female accomplice.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »
2 she'll in a shotgun is all you need, just ask Job Biden
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 09:47:54 PM »
Also note, when the bullets start flying things change vs at the range shooting at something that is not shooting back at you.
Glad he had the ammo to defend  himself.
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:35:45 AM »
Also note, when the bullets start flying things change vs at the range shooting at something that is not shooting back at you.
Glad he had the ammo to defend  himself.

That is absolutely true.

If a person is shooting at you, you have the right to shoot back. When is it time to stop shooting?  Obviously, the perp was serious in his intention to harm the homeowner.  Was the homeowner over-zealous in his attempt to defend himself?  At what point was the perps trying to defend themselves from the homeowner?

My responsibility starts and ends at the door to my castle. If the perp is on the run, he has been invited out of the house and my job here is done.  If I pursue the perp beyond my property, I could be seen as the bad guy and the perp was trying to defend himself from me.

Just some thoughts.

pop pop

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 06:49:29 AM »
Persuite out of the house worries me also. Too me, the fight ends at the front door. IMO, when you step outside in persuite, you are pushing the letter of the laws of self defense and castle doctrine.