Author Topic: He Had Just One Dilemma When He Heard Someone in His Home...  (Read 1707 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
He Had Just One Dilemma When He Heard Someone in His Home...
« on: February 07, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
‘Varmint-Load’ or .44 Magnum?

A New Smyrna Beach, Florida, homeowner was lying in bed and watching television on Thursday night when a noise inside his house grabbed his attention. David Como said his first instinct was to grab a firearm.

Readily available were his .44 Magnum and a less deadly pistol, which he refers to as “varmint-load.” The decision he made likely saved a suspected robber’s life.

Read the rest of the story: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/06/he-had-just-one-dilemma-when-he-heard-someone-in-his-home-varmint-load-or-44-magnum/

Also, one of the responses to the article; "I live in Canada. Here, you have a choice of falling to your knees and begging for mercy or sending the perp a very strongly worded letter after you get out of the hospital. You see, we aren’t allowed to wear ‘grown up pants’ up here or to even think of a gun during a home invasion."
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Squerly

Re: He Had Just One Dilemma When He Heard Someone in His Home...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 04:03:10 PM »
While lucky for the intruder I just don't see this as the correct choice.  If I have to pull the trigger on someone I want the biggest, baddest bazooka in the house.  (I say this with all the usual disclaimers noted.  Clear field, no children behind the intruder, neighbors house not going to take a hit, etc.)  But that's what shotguns are for, right?
Squerly~

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 04:20:42 PM »
it could have been much worse, the crook was armed.
If he had decided to stay and fight, the home owner would be dead.
Time will tell.

flyover

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 06:37:29 PM »
If the caliber does not start with 4...... :-X

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 06:49:21 PM »
If the caliber does not start with 4...... :-X

No problems here.
.4x is the norm around these here parts.

Sent from phone. Typos possible.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 05:51:21 AM »
While lucky for the intruder I just don't see this as the correct choice.  If I have to pull the trigger on someone I want the biggest, baddest bazooka in the house.  (I say this with all the usual disclaimers noted.  Clear field, no children behind the intruder, neighbors house not going to take a hit, etc.)  But that's what shotguns are for, right?
I'm not fully agreeing with this statement, But I think the homeowner chose the wrong firearm, like Robert posted, if the robber was armed and decided to stay a fight, the homeowner more than likely would have lost the fight, but making the statement I want the biggest, baddest bazooka in the house if you are ever in the position where you needed to defend yourself, in court they might be able to be use this statement against you, Saying you didn't just want to stop the threat, but to stop the intruders life.

Lawyers will try to use anything they can to win the case, I think a better choice of words might be, I want the best defense I have to insure the safety of my family and myself
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:29 AM »
A grown man intruding into your domicile, while maybe a varmint (figuratively speaking), does not justify the pittance of pellets produced with "Rat" shot, which may just *iss off the perp.  The homeowner (and the perp) were both lucky.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:53:53 AM »
The suspect faces charges of armed burglary, grand theft, grand theft auto, aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to WKMG-TV.
Time will tell.

LEJoe

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 02:38:42 PM »
The suspect faces charges of armed burglary, grand theft, grand theft auto, aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, according to WKMG-TV.

Stick a fork in him... he's done.  At least until he can plea bargain these charges down so he'll be out on the street lickatty split. Can I say "lickatty split" on this board?  ::)