Author Topic: Recitations  (Read 1437 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Recitations
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:36:05 PM »
If you come to a class of mine that involves shooting, at some point I am likely to make you do this--pick some short speech, poem, paragraph or two of memorized text, song, Bible verses, something like that. Now pick pretty much any shooting drill or test you know. When you start the drill, start reciting. OUT LOUD. Keep the recital up throughout the drill.

That's it.

Here's what I bet you will see: Smaller groups and generally better shooting. Because you remove the self-awareness and micromanagement of the mind, you actually end up doing what you have drilled previously by the subconscious, which often does a far better job of running you than you do.

Try it and see.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

LEJoe

Re: Recitations
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:09:39 PM »
Brilliant!

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:16:48 PM »
Thank you, Richard.
That's a really useful idea.

I wish I'd known about it, years ago!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:29 PM »
Nice suggestion! I think that I will try that during the next range session.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
Would humming work?

I remember in a movie, "Driven" with Sylvester Stallone, that he would hum when he was "in the groove."

At a crime scene...

Officer to a witness: "Did you notice anything unusual in the shooter's behavior?"

Witness: "Only that he was singing."

Officer to a witness: "Singing? What song was he singing?"

Witness: "I believe it was, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida."

Officer to witness: "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida?"

Witness: "Yes. (short pause) He reloaded on 'Vida', I believe."

;D

I'm just horsing around, CR. 
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
Cr you never cease to amaze me!  Great advice!  Where ever did you come up with this? 

Back in '65 I shot my first military issue .45acp pistol, my first pistol ever.  The first shot for some reason went into the indoor ranges mid-range ceiling baffle.  I was one on one with the Rangemaster and extremely embarrassed at that shot.  He talked to me about it and the last thing he said was what you said here.  Doing it, I got calmed down and ultimately went on to eventually qualify Expert.  Not really thinking much about it I've used it off and on on bad days at the range just to help settle me down, particular on bad days.  Probably should have shared it more over the years but just never thought much about it. 

If you can keep your head
When all about you are losing theirs
and blaming it on you...
If you can trust yourself
When all men doubt you
Yet make allowance for their doubting too...

or

When in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes
I all alone beweep my out cast state
And trouble deft heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope...

Great post CR!   ;D

Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Tadrian, I can't recall where this came from or if it was independent duplication of other's work. I haven't been applying it that long. I see correlation when I shoot better in a class than I do by myself. If you have the material in hand and you take the focus out of yourself, you often do better with physical tasks.

Stallone's character's humming might well have been the equivalent of the single sound some meditators make or are taught to. I think the idea is the sound fills the mind. If you can't do something like focus on your breathing, this can be alternative.

The recitation moves the focus off the internal dialogue about the shooting or the drill. It can be thought of as a way to temporarily achieve a state of zanshin or reflective mind without having to study Zen.

I'm going to memorize some Kipling over time for use with this.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com