Author Topic: UPDATE: Rossi Model: R92-56011, Caliber: .38/357  (Read 1907 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
UPDATE: Rossi Model: R92-56011, Caliber: .38/357
« on: November 09, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »
The Rossi R92 is history!

Last night I had cleaned the rifle completely.  With the exception of the previously noted problems with feeding .357 magnum rounds, the rifled cycled flawlessly with .38 special loaded in the tube.

This morning was range day and I was looking forward to running some Leverevolution .357 magnum rounds through it and various .38 special types to see if everything was working.  In short, everything was not working.

Although the .357 Leverevolution rounds were feeding better, and accuracy was acceptable with my off-hand shooting, the spent cartridges would not extract.  I switched to .38 special rounds and the same malady existed -  the gun would not extract spent cartridges - at all and in no way.  I had a single-shot, lever action rifle that required manual extraction of each and every round.  The extractor, although making marks on the base of the case, was simply riding over top of the base about half-way through extraction.  I was able to press down on the extractor and make it work, which led me to believe one of several things; (1) a weak extractor spring, (2) a broken extractor, (3) the tooth of the extractor was not completely latching onto the case, and/or (4), the chamber was actually too tight.  Since I was shooting factory ammunition, I discounted out-of-tolerance ammo.

When trying to extract .357 magnum round, I could actually hear a sucking sound as the spent cartridge was being pulled from the chamber.

I ran a bore-snake though the barrel several times and re-tried shooting the rifle with .38 special loads only (125-grain SJHP +P).  Again no extraction.  Frustrated, the rifle went back into its carrying case as I envisioned a lot of money going out to get this thing operating properly. I left the range area and went to checkout.

Out of a whim I asked the sales person if they took trade-ins. Of course, they did.  The next question led to what do they have in stock, which led him to question what I was looking for as we walked to the display area.

There it was right in front of me.  After some bantering back and forth and looking up the value of the Rossi R92, we came to an agreement on a cash sale, which resulted in a fair trade-in of the Rossi R92, free range time for the day, and an additional $50 off the price of the new gun.  I felt vindicated and satisfied with the deal.

The Rossi R92 is now in the hands of a business with a competent gunsmith who can make the gun right and I walked away with a rifle that I had been interested in for a long time.

The Ruger Model 2822 Gunsite Scout, in .308/7.62x51 in stainless steel finish has always been on my radar since it came out in 2011.  It is now off of my radar and in my hands.  Say what you want about bolt-action rifles but I can operate the bolt on this gun much faster than I can a lever-gun. Even being a left-handed operator on a rifle of this caliber, I can operate the bolt quickly right-handed and I don't have to worry about a thing hanging up on me. I now have 10-rounds of .308/7.62x51 to do with whatever I feel.  Spare magazines will follow; both in 10-round and 5-round versions. It is unfortunate that Ruger chose to use proprietary magazines, but other than buying them from Ruger, the price is reasonable for them.

My eyes welcomes the removable "Ghost" sight that comes with the rifle and I have options for optical mounting; rearward with the provided 1" scope rings or forward with an L.E.R. scope mounted to the Picatinny rail.  I can also use my bipod, if needed, and/or sling the rifle in the conventional fashion using the conventional sling mounts.

The rifle also comes with three 1/2" spacers so I can adjust the L.O.P to my needed 14.25 inches or wherever I find it the most comfortable to shoot. I can also, if I feel the need, pay the money and mount a suppressor on the barrel in place of the flash-hider.

With a 18" barrel that is two inches longer that the standard Gunsite Scout, accuracy and velocity should be improved compared to the standard alloy-steel, 16" barreled matte-black version.

One thing that I really like is that I can operate the right side safety lever with the thumb of my shooting hand; no cross-bolt safety and no top safety like the Rossi.

As you can tell, I am a happy camper. I'm happy that I took CRs advice, "Forget what you need, get what you want." (or words similar).

Now, I get to report on a new rifle rather than complain about an old rifle.  See, I am trying to turn a negative into a positive here. With that said, I have two other Rossi R92s (20" octagon-barreled model) that have never been fired.  With the problems that I had with the 20" round-barreled model, I think that it behooves me to check them out. If they exhibit the same problems a this one, a Ruger M77/357  (http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/ruger-77-357-gotw) will be in my future. I'm about through with pistol calibers in lever guns unless they are made to function for a specific caliber (for example, .45 colt)

Range report on the Ruger Gunsight Scout to follow at a later time.

Hickok45 did a review of the original Gunsite Scout @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOnOFEH6ps
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:49:31 PM by Taurian »
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.