Author Topic: Training Class For Newer Shooter  (Read 1764 times)

pop pop

Training Class For Newer Shooter
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:27:53 AM »
I had a class with my sweetie’s cousin(50ish) on shooting yesterday. Her husband has developed Parkinson’s disease and has been institutionalized so the cousin is living alone at present. She wants to arm herself for self defensive purposes. We talked safety first and she was really nervous as we proceeded. We must talk safety more as she would forget where she was pointing the gun when it was unloaded. I never allowed her to load until I was beside or behind her.

I allowed her to fire a 22LR, 22Mag revolver, Glock Mdl 19, 9MM, Kahr P 9 9MM, a Ladysmith Mdl 65 revolver loaded with 38 Spl practice ammo, and a Ruger LCR in 38Spl. She kept all hits on a B27 target in the black, at 5-6 yards, from a standing position. She could shoot the smaller guns as well as the larger. She fired about 75 rounds and said her hand had begun to hurt, so we stopped.

I am really concerned that she wants the Glock 9MM. That would be all right with me, but she does not have the hand strength to load the magazine nor rack the slide to load the pistol. I know one can purchase a loader for the magazine, which would make it easier, and she can use a table to help her to lock back the slide to load the pistol, but I am really concerned she may have a FTF, or something that would stop the semi-auto from firing, and she would not be able to clear the gun and get it back into the fight. Said she could only afford 1 gun.

The reason I think she is preferring the semi auto is the amount of rounds on board as opposed to the revolvers 5, 6, 7, or 8 rounds on board. I told her that she could purchase a 7 shot K frame pistol, like my Taurus 617, which would give her 7 rounds. She does not like my S/W 681 and says it is too heavy for her to hold up and she could not conceal it should she get her HCP here in TN, which I advised her to do. Told me money was scarce and she could not afford 2 or 3 gun purchases.

She is a determined learner as I observed her facial expressions while firing and witnessed her determination. We spent about 2 hours with me teaching and talking to her as we fired each handgun. I thought of a 20 GA, but don’t know if she would be open to that and she had grown tired from out first outing. I may try that on the next outing.

My wife can fire my youth model mdl 500 Mossey, but does not like the recoil and prefers her Lady Smith(357DPX) or LCR (38 Spl DPX). I am working on the shotty, with her, for home protection and realize she must shoot it several times to get accustomed to a shotgun. This is a work in progress. Also my sweetie does not have the hand streng to rack the slide on the Glock either. I reccomended the revolvers for her and she agreed.

I would like your thoughts on which way to proceed with the somewhat new shooter and what advice I should give her on either the revolver or semi auto. The fact she cannot work the slide bothers me a lot. I am leaning toward the revolver with speed loaders or speed strips. What advice do you have for us?

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Training Class For Newer Shooter
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 03:23:03 PM »
Roger;
Is your cousin going to carry her pistol? Or use it only to defend her home?

Tiny little Jean is always able to rack the slide of our full-size M1911s, and to load their magazines as well. But she couldn't conceal one. She just isn't big enough.
The 1911's recoil spring is soft, so the slide-rack is easy. Its single-stack magazine also has a soft spring, so loading it is easy...until she gets to the seventh round, anyway. It's all in the technique.
Were it solely a matter of home defense, I'd suggest the M1911 to your cousin for those reasons. Is she large enough to carry one?

My experience tells me that a less-powerful cartridge, fired from a medium-size semi-auto pistol, might give your cousin the same effect of manipulating a 1911, but the outfit would be more concealable (depending, of course, upon the holster she chooses).
I suggest that she (or you) look for a medium-size, locked-breech .380 ACP pistol. Such a gun's locked breech would assure that its recoil spring would be soft enough to allow her to rack its slide easily. A single-stack magazine would be a nice feature for a similar reason.
Of course, you will have to teach her accurate shooting, and to shoot to stop attackers without compunction or compassion. Otherwise, the .380 is just too weak for personal defense.

My next suggestion is that she get a six-shot, .38 Special revolver of manageable size, with at least a three-inch barrel. (Four would be better.) I believe that you should not let her get a five-shot, J-frame gun: It will be too uncomfortable to shoot enough for practicing purposes.
For reloads, have her practice a lot with speedloaders. Properly used, they are as quick to use as are semi-auto magazines.

If she really is fixated upon a Glock, have her try the newly-released .380 Glock, to see if she can manipulate it successfully.
The question then becomes whether she can conceal it completely and comfortably.

I hope that this will help you.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:29:36 AM »
Steve, she does not plan to carry, at this time. Her Ky carry permit is not valid in TN and she would need to attend a class and pay the 150.00 which she does not have at this time. She plans too carry whe she can get the funds. First off she needs to purchase a gun.

She does not want to go below a 9MM or 38 Spl for her gun caliber. Her brother-in-law insisted she stay within that caliber. She did well at shooting and her funds are short because of the expense of putting her husband in an institution. I feel for her and told her I would be willing to help her with the purchase, but one must allow one to ask for the help. I do not want to come off as being a know it all and pushy.  I find these kind of things must develope on their own. I can find a gun or I can sell her one very reasonable(even give). If I do that I want her to buy it from me for $5.00 so I can record the transaction, for legal reasons. I am sure she will understand.

I am also going to encourage her to go with a K frams size  3" brl revolver, because of her hand strength situation. I will show her how to reload with a speed strip and speed loader, which I have both for all my revolvers.   She did really like my wife's Ruger LCR and was accurate with it. It was lighter than sweetie's 3" mdl 65 Ladysmith SS 6 shot K frame revolver house gun. 

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 11:51:09 AM »
Remember to tell her that a gently-used gun will be a much better value than anything she could buy new.
(Jean and I have bought only one new gun, during the past 30 years. All the rest were "pre-owned.")
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right path, pop pop.  The Ruger LCR would be a good choice, especially since she likes to shoot it. I would lean to the 5431, 38 Spl +P,    5-round, Hogue® Tamer™ Monogrip®, Adjustable Black Blade sight, 3.00" barrel model myself.

There are some excellent .38 special +P ammunition out there for defensive use. I think that HKS makes a speedloader for it.

Good luck with the 20-gauge. #2 Buck (if you can find it) or #3 Buck (if you can't) make good defensive loads for the home.  It's hard to beat a 7/8-ounce slug out of  a 20-gauge, though. Remington does make a low recoil slug load for the 20-gauge and they would do just fine (see Remington Express BuckHammer Managed Recoil Rifle Slug RL20LSS, 20 Gauge, 2-3/4", 7/8 oz, 1275 fps, Lead Slug, 5 Rd/bx @ http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remington-express-buckhammer-managed-recoil-rifle-slug-rl20lss-gauge-1275-lead-slug-rdbx-p-89334.html) for an example.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 08:39:33 AM »
Check www.corneredcat.com for slide-rack techniques that might work for her, pop pop.

As long as factory ammunition is used and you can ensure that she is not limp-wristing it, I'm not convinced the G19 or even a G17 is a bad choice. My thinking is that I'm reading more of burglaries and home invasions with more than one intruder and I would like to make sure she has enough shots to have a fair dinkum' chance of not needed a reload. Yes, I've seen Glocks hiccup. But on a percentage basis I've actually seen more revolver than autoloader failures and every revolver failure I've seen took the gun completely out of action (in one case permanently).

So I'll vote for the autoloader. (Though by now it's probably too late and she's already got one.)
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com