Author Topic: Why Alcohol and Guns Do Not Mix  (Read 1524 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Why Alcohol and Guns Do Not Mix
« on: July 15, 2014, 03:17:19 PM »
Jean and I are back from our travels.
I return to you with a cautionary tale from my own very recent experience. This time, the "idiot" was me!

As I noted before we left, our visit to Providence, RI, was to include really good BBQ from a restaurant very near to where our son and his family live (actually in Pawtucket).
To our dismay, we discovered that the really good BBQ place had closed, and the chef had moved to a new location in Greater Downtown Providence. ("Greater downtown..." — that's a joke, son.)
So we made a point of trying his new venue. I'm happy to note that the BBQ in the new place, although there are fewer choices on the menu, is even better than it was in the old place. Also, we could dine outside, in the warmth of the summer evening.

In case you don't know it, I am not a drinker. Well, rather, I'm a cheap drunk who can get totally plastered on a glass of wine, so I tend not to.
But in this case, there was Tennessee Lemonade on the menu, which I just cannot resist. So I had one, thinking that a full rack of really fine baby back ribs should dilute the Jack Daniels' sufficiently to keep my behavior socially acceptable.

About halfway through that luscious rack, our son noticed that a stranger was trying very hard to get into the driver's-side door of his car.
He and I both jumped up from the table and headed for the car, but he was a few steps behind me because he had stopped to wipe his hands clean on a napkin, while I had been licking mine as I went along through the rack of yummy ribs.

Now, just about nobody is licensed to carry a concealed pistol in Providence. This is especially true of out-of-state visitors like me. Also, our son is a peaceful psychiatrist-to-be, and he professes to love everybody, even cockroaches.
But I keep a good-size Buck folding knife at his house, which I (legally) wear in a belt case while we're visiting. On my way to the car and the stranger, I got it into my head that it would be a good idea to get that knife out, "just in case." So I did.

As I was advancing on the stranger, my knife at the side of my leg and my most intimidating expression knitting my brow, the man called out something about mistaking our car for his, and walked away and got into a nearby duplicate of our son's own blue econo-box.
Well, what do you think of that? He hadn't been trying to break into our son's car, after all! And there I was with a knife bared at my side.

I quickly put the knife away and went back to the mess of ribs getting cold at the table. Nobody had seen my knife—not even our son.
But, good pre-psychiatrist that he is, he did say that he could tell that the stranger wasn't really trying to break into the car at all, because he had been smiling as he walked up to it, his mind obviously occupied with thoughts other than burglary.

But there I had been, addled with residual alcohol, and in full, thoughtless attack mode that had been based upon no real observational information at all.
That was very bad tactics. Very bad tactics indeed. Never, ever, rush headlong into confrontation. First observe, second plan, and then action must come a very distant third.
But the small amount of alcohol in my head erased all of my training and most of my logical faculty, and, in the moment, I had acted very stupidly.

The lesson? Alcohol and weapons do not mix. A little alcohol can overcome training, experience, and intelligence.
Lesson learned!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: Why Alcohol and Guns Do Not Mix
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »
YEAP!   ::)

Oh Yeah! . . . . Welcome Back!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:22 PM »
 Welcome back Steve. Glad you guys are home safe. I have a daughter in law that said once "I had a grape yesterday, and the fermentation went right to my head." She doesn't like guns. Probably a good thing too I guess.   ::)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:20:48 AM »
Good lesson, Steve.  Welcome back!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
Welcome back Steve! 

Your experience is an example why I haven't had a drink of alcohol in over 20 years.  I've a neatly stocked wine and liquor cabinet but only guests get to enjoy it.  Right now a light glass of white wine would probably knock me on my kiester.  I'm a wuss.   :-X
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • Was a soldier, when it wasn't cool to be one
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
  • Location: Born in California, but Montana resident since 1971
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
"Ten feet tall and bulletproof"?  Been there.  Not anymore.   Welcome back!

Sent from phone.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.