Author Topic: I stole this one from an Israeli  (Read 824 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
I stole this one from an Israeli
« on: February 27, 2014, 05:46:38 AM »
...who probably got it from somebody else.

Pretty simple, actually. Pick something up in the non-shooting hand. It needs to have some weight to it, doesn't have to be too heavy. Loaded briefcase, backpack you use to carry things to work in, something that weight at the lightest. Some of you might want to bump it up to baby/small child weight. One or more targets, your choice.

Take up the weight and from the shooting line sprint away at least ten yards. Reverse and sprint back to shooting line. Without dropping the weight, draw and shoot to the target or targets.

Fairly simple. If you only have a small distance to run, I'd do a couple of switches back and forth before shooting.

A variation of this drill that I didn't steal from that Israeli: Weight in hand or arm, run or walk fast along the shooting line, four or five yards to each side of your starting point, reverse. Without stopping, draw and shoot to the target(s).

This puts a bit of fatigue into the shooting process and adds a balance/offset load element to deal with as well.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: I stole this one from an Israeli
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:02:05 PM »
Back "in the day," I devised a rifle exercise which began with the shooter jogging in place with cotton up his nostrils, to simulate both a cold and its resultant fatigue.
Then the shooter had to address targets from 100 to 600 yards away.

The shooter was permitted to advance on the distant targets, but time was a factor, so the time taken to advance had to be balanced against his expected proficiency while his breathing was impaired.

Each participant made some very interesting choicesówith equally interesting results.

Finding ways to simulate fatigue, stress, and confusion are very useful adjuncts to firearms training.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."