Author Topic: 5 Star Speed Loader  (Read 3629 times)

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
5 Star Speed Loader
« on: September 26, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if any on our forum have any experience with the "5 Star Speed Loader", linked here?

The look like a better product than the plastic things ya see here and there, and for about twice the $.
My wonderment is if these speed loaders are worth twice the money, or do they just look cool?

[attach=1]

Humm.  Don't know if I did the attachment right or not.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

RayMich

Re: 5 Star Speed Loader
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »
I only have experience with the HKS Speedloaders. I have them for S&W J-Frame (5-round), S&W N-Frame (6-round) and Colt Cobra (6-round). I paid something like $9.95 for each one. I have never had a problem with any of them, so I don't see a need for me to want to buy something that will work just as well but for twice the cost.

If you are set on a shiny metal loader, I suppose those would also work OK.
- Ray -

"The Constitution is NOT and instrument for the government to restrain the people, it IS an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

oldranger53

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:59:18 PM »
Yes, I like the shiny metal !

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

flyover

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 04:54:11 PM »
I think this is the first time I have seen a 5 Star product. I had a Taurus .357 Mag and tried the Maxfire speedloaders with it.  The Maxfire speedloader is a stiff rubber?? product, it wasn't hard like a polymer type product. They went with the pistol when it was sold. I went back to the HKS speedloaders when I got a Ruger Super Redhawk and a Red Hawk.
The HKS speedloaders have been reliable for me.

Olcoot

• 2nd Amendment Supporter
    • PhotographicEndeavors
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:34 PM »
I own a couple of the HKS speedloaders for my 686 and my J-frames both work great. I have no owned  any of the 5 Star Speed Loaders but have a friend that has a couple and he said he was very happy with them but did not see any advantage of the HKS except the looks, he just likes the metal over the plastic for the looks.
Tony

NRA Life Member
Check out my news blog and photography website
tmahb.blogspot.com
photographicendeavors.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:07:38 PM »
I've pondered over the 5 Star Speed Loaders until I was weak and weary. In the end, I see no advantage of using them, although the contrast between them and shiny brass casings is visually appealing.

Having used both HKS and Safariland speed loaders on duty and in competition, I can attest that they have been worry free. I favor the Safariland over the HKS. However, it depends on the method of carrying them. If I use a pouch, the Safariland is in them as could be the HKS. If I use an over-the-belt holder, the HKS is the only choice and is usually the Method-of-Carry (MOC) for my SP101. For the home defense revolver, the Safariland is the choice.

Why mess with a good thing.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
There has been one or two times that I reached for a speed loader from the pouch, only to find that one or all rounds had let go and were loose in the pouch.
I suppose my greatest desire is to feel as if that couldn't happen if I really did need to load in a hurry.
Just wondering if the machining and assembly of these items were somehow more reliable?

oldranger53

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
There has been one or two times that I reached for a speed loader from the pouch, only to find that one or all rounds had let go and were loose in the pouch.
I suppose my greatest desire is to feel as if that couldn't happen if I really did need to load in a hurry.
Just wondering if the machining and assembly of these items were somehow more reliable?

About a month ago, I got myself an HKS speed loader holder (rather than the cheapo I was using hitherto), and I haven't had a single problem with rounds coming loose in the pouch since then.

Charles1951

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:27:37 AM »
Please pardon me for resurrecting this old thread but I recently purchased a 5 Star speed loader with pouch as pictured below and want to offer some thoughts I have about it as a review of the product.

Yes, it is more expensive than others. Is it worth the extra money? For me, yes for one reason. Other speed loaders don't work well with a Ruger LCR because they bind up and don't allow the load to go into the cylinder fully. The 5 Star loader works. I have been using the Bianchi Speed Strips for a carry reload and that is ok but it is slower. One downside of any revolver loader (beside the strip type) is the bulkiness of the prepped loader. It's not as easy to carry and keep it hidden. So the answer is to place it next to my cell phone under an un-tucked shirt.
http://www.5starfirearms.com/J2-357-38-and-Small-Pouch-Combo-p/j235705510.htm

Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »
One thing good about it, and which other speed loaders do not have, is a low profile around the chambers that hold the cartridges. While bulky speedloaders, like the Safariland and HKS speed loaders, work well with larger frame revolvers, they somewhat inhibit positive reloading in smaller and more compact revolvers.  I have found this to be true even with my Ruger SP101.

I would like to try one like you have for the SP101, as it looks like it would work better than the HKS units that I am currently using.  However, it does not appear that one is available through their web site.  I'll e-mail them to see if any for the S&W revolvers will also work with the SP101. I take it that yours is a "Twist-Type" release?

Thanks for the post.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Charles1951

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 11:20:05 AM »
The J1 is for the SP101: http://www.5starfirearms.com/J1-357-38-Accessories-s/129.htm
Yes, mine is the "Twist-Type" release. Here is a YouTube of the SP101 loader:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VYTtGhYLw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VYTtGhYLw</a>
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 01:41:48 PM »
Thanks.  I just received an e-mail from them in response to my inquiry.  I'll be ordering two for the SP101, with the pouch, for T&E.