Author Topic: Have a plan  (Read 1391 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Have a plan
« on: July 01, 2013, 05:39:02 AM »
Some of you may not have heard the Police Officer's unofficial guide to public contact:

Be polite.
Be professional.
Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

This mental exercise is based on the third task and can be done one or both of two ways.

For at least one full day:

Decide how you would go about disabling everyone you encounter from whatever position you're in. Every time someone comes within, say elevator range of you, try and decide how you would take them down from where you're at in the quickest and most direct and efficient manner possible. Develop a plan that uses the weapon(s) you have, and develop a plan that doesn't use anything but your body.

That's one way to do it. The other way to run this drill:

Every time someone comes within the 'circle', consider how they would come at you from whatever position and place they're in. Put yourself in their place and their position relative to you and ask yourself: If they were going to attack without warning, going directly from where they're at right now, how would they likely come at you?

What you get for a day is something like: "Okay, I could hit them in that spot by stepping in hard with a forearm, or an elbow there". Or: "Their direct route is a blade-hand to my neck, how do I interrupt or evade that?" Or: "Knife coming from there, likely line goes to here."

Don't get over-complex. If you can only come up with something that takes more than two moves, you're doing it wrong. How can you take them, how can they take you, from where you/they are, without preparation?

This doesn't require staring or studying, either. Use information as you normally do, from casual looks and peripheral vision. Do this with everyone, friend, foe, or neutral, consistently, for up to a day. You don't have to do this very often. After a while, you can just run the calculation occasionally to keep up the concept.

This is basically an exercise about how to go from zero to sixty without warning.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Have a plan
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:50:56 AM »
Nice, CR.
I never thought it out to such detail, but have practiced variants of "the plan" for many years, in much the same way you describe.
This is good stuff!

Regards

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

SARGeek

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 02:41:09 PM »
Nice, CR.
I never thought it out to such detail, but have practiced variants of "the plan" for many years, in much the same way you describe.
This is good stuff!

Regards

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

+1
SARGeek

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »
I never thought about it as you have described.  I have thought through scenarios when looking at someone.  Thanks for the good info.  :D
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:32:57 PM »
I often do this at work, especially with Engineers who are too busy or bothered to talk to me.  ;D

Good things to think about, C.R.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
I often do this at work, especially with Engineers who are too busy or bothered to talk to me.  ;D

That's why I retired.   ;D
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez