Author Topic: Kydex vs. Leather  (Read 3122 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Kydex vs. Leather
« on: June 23, 2013, 08:46:14 AM »
I have a number of holsters - Kydex, leather, and combinations thereof.

Here's the rub (no pun intended).

If Kydex is kept clean and grit free it will actually wear finish far less than leather.

I don't like using Kydex with blued firearms because it can produce unsightly markings where the Kydex comes in contact with the gun finish.

I don't like unlined leather either, instead I prefer rigid nylon holsters for handguns.

Because leather will form to the gun, it will actually abrade a greater surface on the finish than a similar Kydex holster, especially if if becomes impregnated with oil and grit, something that can't happen with kydex if it is wiped out every day.

You can't wipe suede leather clean

If you use a stainless steel handgun, the only reason to use leather is for that 'retro' look.

Leather will actually buff a matte finish stainless steel handgun into a bright finish in fairly short order if the
gun is holstered regularly. Again this won't happen with Kydex and to a much lesser extent with rigid nylon.

I normally carry the Bersa 45UC Pro in a CBST holster (Kydex/leather combination). I have no qualms about doing so because the finish on the gun was poor to begin with (Bersa had an early problem with the chemical used in the protective bags interacting with the finish on the pistol that resulted in some splotchy finishes. Some time spent with a few fine polishing compound gave it a certain patina that makes it look older than what it really is - something like case-hardened steel after exposure to the elements after a long period of time or where the bluing has long since rubbed away).

I do not wish to prematurely wear any of my better guns' finishes when I decide to carry them.

I may be looking for a quality rigid and reinforced nylon IWB holster.

Any thoughts on this one: http://www.buyholsters.com/product/Gote-Gear-Urban-Carry-Nylon-IWB-Slide-Holster?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
Re: Kydex vs. Leather
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:07:34 AM »
I've not moved to Kydex yet.  Maybe someday, but I'm not in a hurry. I just haven't warmed up to it yet.  Maybe some day, but I'm a bit old fashioned.

Until then mine are almost all leather for my carry pieces and primarily nylon for my bug-out and hunting guns.  I like the feel and look of quality leather, and so far none of my guns are suffering from it overmuch.   
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
i like the leather back and Kydex front.
very comfortable and it retains the gun well.
needed when your crawling under desk to work on computers.
Time will tell.

SARGeek

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:14 PM »
Love my SuperTuck but I don't really worry about finish on my XD. The slide bis holding it's finish just fine and the poly, well... No marks on it so far after several years of daily carry.

I didn't see a specific on whether the Gote was rigid enough to allow one handed re-holstering but that would be a factor for me. I do look when re-holstering but I may have my other hand busy (or injured) and I want to put my weapon that hopefully just served me well right where I can get it again after something like that if the police haven't yet arrived and I need to use my hand for something like applying a TQ or bandage.

Have you looked at something like this?
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/blade-techinsidethewaistbandiwbholster.aspx#.Uc5VvdhsJ_Q
SARGeek

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
Interesting.
Lately i''ve been considering going with kydex.  No particular reason, just thinking about it.
Hmmmm

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Rugby PRO

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
I listened to Tadrian (and my inner self). I ordered a Cumberland Versa Clip II from Simply Rugged Holsters (http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/The-Cumberland-Versa-clip-II-.cfm?item_id=359&parent=669) for my 1911's.

My Bersa Thunder 45UC Pro still rides in a CBST and the Glocks are relegated to a Galco King Tuk. The 1911s all deserve good leather, as do my revolvers - single and double action.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:29:50 PM »
I listened to Tadrian (and my inner self). I ordered a Cumberland Versa Clip II from Simply Rugged Holsters (http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommerce/The-Cumberland-Versa-clip-II-.cfm?item_id=359&parent=669) for my 1911's.

My Bersa Thunder 45UC Pro still rides in a CBST and the Glocks are relegated to a Galco King Tuk. The 1911s all deserve good leather, as do my revolvers - single and double action.

Good looking holster...that!  May have to seriously look into one.  I've added their link to my smart tabs. 

As to the rest I didn't mean to be offering any advice.  I just can't get over a "good looking gun" in an equally "good looking leather holster".  Like I said...old fashioned.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:08:32 PM »

Good looking holster...that!  May have to seriously look into one.  I've added their link to my smart tabs. 

As to the rest I didn't mean to be offering any advice.  I just can't get over a "good looking gun" in an equally "good looking leather holster".  Like I said...old fashioned.

I've enjoyed, when I wear them, Simply Rugged Holsters. I have one for the GP100 4" (the "Sourdough Pancake"), the SP101 (the "Silver Dollar Pancake") and the Springfield XD45 (the Cuda). They are the pre-reinforced models (unlike the one I just bought) and can be worn OWB or IWB (with straps and now with clips). I looked far and wide for a good holster that didn't take a long lead time to receive. There are some great ones out there (I have several UBG holsters) but, due to demand, they have a long lead time. SRH have come through for me in the past and they are good people to work with.

I guess I'm old school, as well. Some handguns just say "leather" is the way to go - and wood furniture. To me, the 1911 is just one of those handguns. I wasn't taking your advice that you didn't offer; I was just seconding your opinion. ;D

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »
I did a quick look at the products.
I didn't see any models for revolvers.???
Are they "Auto Only?"
That's cool, if they are, but trends in acceories equipment tend to fade away while the equipment lasts.  And, in the case of revolvers, last forever. 
My next gun will be a short 1911, but for now all mine are revolvers - and I feel pretty good about the whole thing, frankly.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »
Yes. They are "Autos Only" and I've seen their products in person. Very nice. I ordered a mag carrier for a 1911 single-stack magazine and will ordering a second later this week.

Nothing wrong about a good revolver. I carry them myself, at times. CBST has a nice one for the SP101 that is extremely comfortable and does what it is supposed to do.

For the time being, a Galco King Tuk holds the 1911. I have a new Simply Rugged holster coming in this week or next for the 1911. I'm looking forward to that.