Author Topic: Gun As Sword, Gun As Knife  (Read 971 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Gun As Sword, Gun As Knife
« on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:51 AM »
This is an isolation drill, in that it takes just part of a single movement and breaks it out for consideration.

If you're familiar with my philosophy of technique as it relates to handguns, one thing you will know is that I'm big on 1) getting the gun level as soon as it clears the holster, and 2) a straight drive to the shooting position/target point. To help develop the drive, do the following:

Take a knife (actual or training knife) or short straight stick (you can use a sword if you have one) and face a target that has a small dot marked or stuck to it. Dot can be at any height, but I would begin with it about the level of the solar plexus of an average-height man. (You will want to go higher later, as this is low for my thinking to train yourself to shoot at.)

To get the distance, extend your arm so that the point of the blade or end of the stick just touches or almost touches that point. Start from that distance.

First, bring the blade to the center of your body and the same height, and thrust directly forward, straight and level and direct, to the target point. Face square on, thrust directly. You don't have to do it fast. Let the shoulders or body turn as needed as long as you thrust straight through. Do this with one and two hands, blade in either hand.

One this is going along to your satisfaction, move the blade to where you normally carry your handgun and make the same direct thrust from that point. Again, point to point, direct to target. Most of this will be one-handed. Move to the other hand and opposite point of carry on the other side, repeat. (I like ambidexterity in training and practice.)

Next step: Replace the blade with the handgun. Distance is such that the muzzle touches or almost touches the point. Begin in a two-handed grip at close-contact ready, extend. (You may want to move the dot up now if you haven't already to match the level of the gun at extension and sight acquisition.) One and two hands, both sides, repeat.

Repeat with the gun level out of the holster, either just above the holster or at the #2/Pectoral index where it comes up and out. One and two hands, either side, repeat. Let the other hand join the grip as normal on extension sometimes, sometimes go completely one-handed on extension.

When you are satisfied with you ability to move the point directly to the point, you can begin modifying the drill. Begin by opening the distance, one step at a time. Next, move the target point up and down. To look at very close in shooting, do this drill less than an arm's-length away at a low target, like you're stabbing someone in the stomach or below the ribs.

Move back to arm's length, close your eyes, extend, open your eyes to check alignment.

Combine this with the eight-directions drill.

Starting with a single step, extend as you move.

Every time you change a major parameter, move back in to arm's length. Go out as you get confident with alignment.

Pause at extension, check: Level and on?

That's it. Go.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
Re: Gun As Sword, Gun As Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:37:47 AM »
Makes a lot of sense to me.  Wish I'd have had that drill when I was practicing with my .38 derringer.  In addition to my normal carry I carried it at times next to important stuff I was couriering and had to do a lot of practice with it.  We had a concrete wall with 6" holes in it waist high, backed up by 3/4" steel plate.  I practiced for hours and days until I could draw that little gun from the waist, and from that level hit the steel plate.  Lots of hours and lots of ammunition, and a sore hand before I could do it.  This drill would have saved lots of everything!  Good drill CR, thanks!
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.