Author Topic: What is a good reloading handbook?  (Read 4401 times)

Charles1951

What is a good reloading handbook?
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »
Later this year, when primers become available again, I plan to start reloading again. I used to do a little and still have some basic equipment. I'll need to find dies for 9mm Luger but that shouldn't be problem. For now, I'm interested in finding a new handbook. The one I have is Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading Third Edition (from the mid '80's) which served me well at the time. I plan to continue to use this manual for reference and cross-checks but would like a new one for a primary data source. Can someone recommend one they use and like?
Charles

-Texas CHL-*-USAF retired-*-Oath Keeper-*-American Legion-*-NRA-*-IDPA-

============================================
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: What is a good reloading handbook?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
I have always found the Lyman reloading handbook to be the most useful of all. I have owned several editions, starting in 1953, when I first began to reload (age 15, doing .30-40 Krag).
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

mustang125

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
I like the Hornady and Barnes guides also. You can't have just one.

Charles1951

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked in reloading box and found 30 year old powder and primers.  :) :-[ Any suggestions about that?  ;D
Charles

SARGeek

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:16:39 PM »
I have had good results from the Speer book as well. Nothing against any of the others, I just haven't used them.

As to old supplies, I have used some pretty old (over a decade) stuff but not 30 years. In theory, if they have been kept dry, they should be OK. Folks are still shooting successfully with WWII surplus ammo 70 years after it was made. Whole ammo is somewhat sealed and I'm sure that makes a difference. Also, the burn rate of the powder may have been impacted after so long a time and I would do some cautious test loads before I ran a batch through and see what I came up with.
SARGeek

barnjoer

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:30:26 PM »
Lyman is the choice!!! They do not make bullets or powder or primers or brass so what is posted in there reloading book is non bias to any one component for reloading.
John
He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!
TEXAS CHL / NRA /
Carry LOADED Always!!

Charles1951

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 08:30:32 PM »
Thanks, John. Based on Steve's recommendation I now have the new 49th Edition of Lyman Reloading Handbook. The 9MM dies are on order. I barely missed a chance at primers this weekend. I have some lead alloy bullets and I'm gathering some spent cases. I'd like to have FMJ bullets but they are not available yet.

The next thing I'm going to be interested in is a good powder measure device. I'll use a scoop and a scale if I have to starting out but that will get old in a hurry.

I will also pick up a case cleaner/polisher at some point. Suggestions are welcome.
Charles

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 04:23:34 AM »
If you're going to have "just one", the Lyman's by far the best for general reloading.  It was my first also.  My reloading library has one of each of the books mentioned.  That happened primarily because I found I needed them when reloading some bullet and use specific loads that weren't quite covered by the Lyman.
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

SARGeek

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 08:08:52 AM »
For case cleaning I still use an old rock tumbler with walnut media & rouge. It works and it's big enough for quite a few casing at a time without crowding.

This is the one I use, it was a lot less when it was bought!
http://www.amazon.com/Thumler-Lapidary-Rock-Tumbler-Tool/dp/B000RAWG50/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1366643281&sr=8-19&keywords=rock+tumbler
SARGeek

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:48 AM »
When I started I bought the big Lyman vibrating polisher.  I've been very happy with it.  I also use a walnut and polish media mix.  Price on the darned things has really gone up...about $110.00. 
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

Charles1951

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 08:42:35 PM »
Well, the 9mm dies will arrive tomorrow. Cabela's has some Winchester WSF on the shelf so I'm going pick that up tomorrow, too. I'm still looking for primers but have some on back order. I have some new brass so I can put off the case cleaner for now and they seem to be available anyway.
Charles

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 09:26:19 PM »
books I do not know, but this guy is full of good info and pointers. (every once in a while he will pull your leg, but he lets you know (if you can't tell before he tells you) when he is playing around.)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hickok45+reloading+basics&oq=hickok45+reloa&gs_l=youtube.3.1.0l5.627.12918.0.19537.14.12.0.2.2.0.136.1028.10j2.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.fRyQq3Qdx6A

thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

Charles1951

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 04:45:19 PM »
books I do not know, but this guy is full of good info and pointers. (every once in a while he will pull your leg, but he lets you know (if you can't tell before he tells you) when he is playing around.)

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hickok45+reloading+basics&oq=hickok45+reloa&gs_l=youtube.3.1.0l5.627.12918.0.19537.14.12.0.2.2.0.136.1028.10j2.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.fRyQq3Qdx6A

thanks
Robert

Thanks Robert. I bookmarked that link. I really like to watch Hickok45 firearm reviews but had not seen his reloading videos. I think I'll start watch them today in fact.

I had today off from work so I started a trial run at reloading. I was using the guide that came with the Lee dies. I got to step 2 (Full Length Sizer) with no problems and went to step 3. Now that step is on the use of the expander die which is also the die that is used for step 4 (Charge the Case). There was no step for seating the primer! I stopped as soon as I put powder in the first case realizing this is wrong. Powder can just fall through the primer hole! And it would be unsafe to add a primer to case full of powder! That's just plain common sense. (To Lee's credit there was this warning in the instructions: "Caution  Never try to seat a primer deeper after powder has been added."

I will be using a Lee Auto-Prime hand tool to seat the primers. So I pulled my 30 year old tool out of my box and opened it but found the case holders I had would not work with 9mm so that ended my reloading for the day. I ordered a case holder from Midway after a visit to Cabela's was fruitless. That should be delivered next week.

I guess some high end presses allow primer seating as a function of the press or a special station on the turret if using a turret press. Mine is a single stage so it will be more efficient for me to use the Auto-Prime after the resizing die and before the expanding die.

Anyway, I'm learning and having fun so far. I'll update this as it goes.
Charles

Charles1951

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 07:12:12 PM »
I watched some of Hickok45's videos but that is really different from what I'm doing because of the different equipment. Here is what I'm aiming at:

http://youtu.be/BcwSUmiYbU8

So I had my order off a little in my previous post.

This guy goes a little over board I think but he is at least thorough.
Charles

mustang125

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 07:51:56 PM »
Your lee should be priming the case on the down stroke of step two. Which press do you have? I hand prime all my cases after cleaning them. Lee has never had the best primer system on there progressive presses. Dillion rules in that department.

mustang125

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 08:12:02 PM »
I am wondering who suggested that powder for 9 mm? It is not very common to use it. 

Charles1951

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
Your lee should be priming the case on the down stroke of step two. Which press do you have? I hand prime all my cases after cleaning them. Lee has never had the best primer system on there progressive presses. Dillion rules in that department.

I have a 30 year old Lee single stage. There is not a primer with it at all.
Charles

Charles1951

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 08:31:02 PM »
I am wondering who suggested that powder for 9 mm? It is not very common to use it.

I'm using powder I found on the shelf at Cabela's this week. I would prefer 231 or Unique but can't find it. I have found data that shows that WSF will work. There is even load data in the Lyman Reloading Handbook for WSF using a 147gr FMJ. I have found other data suggesting that it will work for me. It is not common but some people really like it so why not?

The manufacturer's website ( http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp ) shows this:
124 GR. LEAD RN    Winchester    WSF    .355"    1.169"    4.0    945    22,200 PSI
Since I'm using 125 GR. Lead RN I think I'll be ok.
Charles

mustang125

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 08:42:20 PM »
It will "work" and there are recipes for it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jtg452

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »

thanks
Robert

Thanks Robert. I bookmarked that link. I really like to watch Hickok45 firearm reviews but had not seen his reloading videos. I think I'll start watch them today in fact.

I had today off from work so I started a trial run at reloading. I was using the guide that came with the Lee dies. I got to step 2 (Full Length Sizer) with no problems and went to step 3. Now that step is on the use of the expander die which is also the die that is used for step 4 (Charge the Case). There was no step for seating the primer! I stopped as soon as I put powder in the first case realizing this is wrong. Powder can just fall through the primer hole! And it would be unsafe to add a primer to case full of powder! That's just plain common sense. (To Lee's credit there was this warning in the instructions: "Caution  Never try to seat a primer deeper after powder has been added."

I will be using a Lee Auto-Prime hand tool to seat the primers. So I pulled my 30 year old tool out of my box and opened it but found the case holders I had would not work with 9mm so that ended my reloading for the day. I ordered a case holder from Midway after a visit to Cabela's was fruitless. That should be delivered next week.

I guess some high end presses allow primer seating as a function of the press or a special station on the turret if using a turret press. Mine is a single stage so it will be more efficient for me to use the Auto-Prime after the resizing die and before the expanding die.

Anyway, I'm learning and having fun so far. I'll update this as it goes.

I prefer a single stage and that's how I do it most of the time.  My Rockchucker (and My Lee handpress is set up to do it, too) will prime on the press but I end up using the hand primer most of the time anyhow.

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »
I'm late to the party for this thread, but I consider two manuals to be the best deals out there.  One already mentioned is the Lyman.  The second is Lee Modern Reloading.  Tons of general information, not just load data.  Half the book is covering some of the "voodoo" behind weird things that can happen when reloading.
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?

Charles1951

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
Thanks, 1911 guy. I found that manual at Midway USA on sale but they are out of stock until next week. I'm looking at some other items they have on sale and will likely order it all then.

BTW, I found a free Hodgdon Basic Reloading Manual online http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Hodgdon%20Basic%20Manual.pdf I always like free and an additional resource is good too. It's a pretty big download but as a PDF I can save it local to save time next time I use it.
Charles

1911 guy

• Mischief? Mayhem? My work here is done.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:40:30 PM »
There is no such thing as too many manuals.  I consider the Lyman and LEE to be indispensable.  But you will find that no one manual covers every possible bullet, powder and caliber combination.  For example, my copy of LEE has no data for Hogdon Varget under a 60gr bullet in .223.  Close, yes.  63gr. you can always use a lighter bullet with heavier bullet data, but the point is there are plenty of manuals to choose from.

ETA:  LEE Precision has it in stock for 31 bucks.   
I wish I believed in reincarnation.  Where's Charles Martel when you need him?