Author Topic: Excellent Utility/Outdoors Knife  (Read 1516 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Excellent Utility/Outdoors Knife
« on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:59 PM »
For several years I have been using a Stanley 10-804 SportUtility Outdoorsman Knife.

It's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but for utility and survival purposes, this is a great tool.

The knife is a combination of box cutter and partially-serrated blade that is housed in a single unit. A safety system allows you to open the box cutter blade or the folding knife - but not both at the same time.

The box cutter is straightforward like any other box cutter, with the blade exposed by pushing forward on a top mounted slide. There are three depth adjustments that allow you to expose the box cutter blade as needed. Sliding the blade forward until it stops and then pressing a button on the side of the frame (housing) allows you to change blades quickly.

The knife blade is a thumb-flip 3-1/2" blade cutlery steel blade (420 steel) that is serrated, durable and rust resistant. To open the knife, you depress the thumb lock and then flip the blade outward until it locks. A liner lock prevents the blade from coming back at you.

The aluminum housing contains a rubber panel that help prevent the hand from  slipping forward. The blade comes fairly sharp but could use some touching up (as most knives do).

The nylon sheath is well constructed and contains a side pouch that hold spare box cutter blades in a dispenser. When the knife flap is closed, the spare box cutter dispenser stays in the pouch.

I have several of these knives and so far they have held up to normal cutting chores. Each of my range bags and my BOB/GHB bags have one. I found that nylon belt keepers (either Velcro or snap) work well for attaching the tool holder to the straps on my "Possible Bags".

For $22.95, they are an extremely good bargain. For survival purposes, you have an option of using the box cutter blade (very, very sharp) or the knife as you need them. This is a general purpose tool and is not intended for combat - but I would not count the box cutter out for extreme UCAP situations.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-10-804-SportUtility-Outdoorsman-Knife/dp/B0001YLIQA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=Q8X6JBTGBISS&coliid=I13R027JOV9DJR
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

GTG

Re: Excellent Utility/Outdoors Knife
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
I will have to add to my collection... ;)
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"