Author Topic: Lamb Shanks, Slow-and-Easy  (Read 1240 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Lamb Shanks, Slow-and-Easy
« on: November 19, 2012, 05:07:03 PM »
Slow-Cooker Lamb Shanks:
We used to make slow-cooker lamb shanks with bay leaves, oregano, and red wine; but we learned that the dish tastes even better without any herbs or wine at all.
Cut onions into quarters and arrange in the bottom of a slow cooker until the layer is about 2" thick. Arrange a layer of cracked lamb shanks atop the onions. Two layers of lamb is also OK. Add salt and pepper to taste (we use a lot of pepper). Now add a layer of quartered new potatoes. If you like thin gravy, you can add 1/4-cup of water, but we don't.
Put the slow cooker on Low-Cook, and leave it alone for at least eight hours (we usually do 10 hours). After the food is all done, suck the liquid out of the bottom if the cooker with a turkey baster and, while the lamb rests, let the liquid sit and separate in a cup.
Use the liquid's fat to make a roux, and then make gravy with the liquid. Everybody gets lamb, onions, and potato, covered with some lamb gravy.

Of you like, you can put quartered onions over the lamb, too. Those "upper" onions dry-roast, while the "lower" onions wet-stew.

This is Jean's favorite lamb dish.
Her second-favorite is unseasoned, broiled lamb chops, done rare.
Her third favorite is Turkish kufteh, or, in Greek, keftides: broiled lamb meatballs with pine nuts and herbs.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Brademan

• Global Moderator
Re: Lamb Shanks, Slow-and-Easy
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
I like this one....sounds great, but....my wife is Greek so I have to be careful suggesting any alterations to her lamb recipes!  I prefer to sleep IN the house!
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Lamb Shanks, Slow-and-Easy
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
OK, Brady, how 'bout her recipe for keftides.

My ex-wife is Greek, but her mother was not a good cook, and neither is she. My kufteh/keftides recipe comes from, of all things, a Jewish cookbook!

The best food I ever ate in Greece was kokoretse, a lamb's intestine stuffed with its liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, and other internal parts, and smoked over an open fire. I had that in a taverna, in Kiffisia, the suburb of Athens where my ex-wife grew up.
I would love to recreate it here on Orcas, but I lack the guts—human, not lamb.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."