Author Topic: Curried Venison  (Read 1228 times)

Brademan

• Global Moderator
Curried Venison
« on: November 19, 2012, 04:57:45 PM »
(In case you are wondering, my Harley riding nickname is Kickstart.  all of these recipes were first published on the HOG Chapter website)

Kickstartís Curried Venison. 
(Lacking venison I have used antelope.)

This recipe has been in my family for as long as I can remember. I can remember my grandma making it. She usually doubled it to feed all the hungry mouths at the table.

I still have the original copy. It is faded yellow and quite fragile. It has been scotch taped back together a time or two.

2 lbs. venison shoulder, cubed
4 tbsp vegetable oil (this is a change from the original recipe that called for lard. I use olive oil)
3 cups beef broth
2 tart apples, diced
2 tbs. chutney
1/2 large onion, diced
4 tsp curry powder
A large pinch each of dried parsley, thyme and basil
1 tbsp peanut butter
Salt to taste

Lightly saute' the onions in the oil; as they take on color stir in the curry powder and then add the meat. Brown the meat on all sides, cover with the beef broth and add the dried herbs. Cook over low heat for 25 minutes, then add the diced apples and peanut butter. Stir and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce is rather thick. Stir in the chutney and then move the contents to a large tureen.

Serve with rice, hot corn bread and coleslaw. To kick up the coleslaw a bit, stir in about 1/8 tsp. curry powder. Have extra chutney on the side.

I've never tried this recipe with beef or pork, but it should work. Meat is meat! I suppose you could add mushrooms. Some sliced shiitake mushroom caps might be real good in this dish.

If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it.
Brademan
Special Projects Manager - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
www.armedcitizensnetwork.org
Admin - ACLDN Forum
Patron Member - NRA
Aikidoka, Harley owner, steel crafter, shooter, Plain speaker