Author Topic: Trigger Travel  (Read 1437 times)

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
Trigger Travel
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:01:40 AM »
Yesterday I had the opportunity to try a Smith & Wesson Body Guard in 380 caliber.  A friend was thinking about buying it from another friend and they brought it to the range to try it.  I was taken back by the trigger travel before engagement.  It seemed as if you didn't know when the gun would fire.  Maybe I'm spoiled with the nice clean crisp short pull on my S&W M&P 9c.  Is it just me or do any of you guys have the same problem?  I realized when carrying my S&W 357 revolver the first shot double action shot could be a long draw if the hammer was not cocked but I wasn't prepared for it in this little piece. ???  I would be hesitant to carry it as a BUG.
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

AR_Rzrback

Re: Trigger Travel
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
Ruger LCP also has long trigger pull.  One of the safety features of a small pocket carry type.  Very typical.  Once you practice-practice-practice, you get a feel for it.  Remember, these are not for target competition.  Pull, point, and shoot.
"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." (Thomas Jefferson)

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »
Ruger LCP also has long trigger pull.  One of the safety features of a small pocket carry type.  Very typical.  Once you practice-practice-practice, you get a feel for it.  Remember, these are not for target competition.  Pull, point, and shoot.

Thanks for the feedback.   On the first shot with the 380, I stopped after squeezing what I thought was enough to assess whether a round was actually chambered.  I would say that this is another case of getting familiar with one gun and staying with it.  If I were to try to alternate between the two of them I would definitely have difficulty.   I'll stick with my old standby  :-)
“do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times.” - Gabe Suarez

DangeRuss

• MCRGO
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
My Taurus pt-145 has a long trigger on it too but I know how far it takes and can now pull it 3/4 of the way first then squeeze the shot. I am used to it so its no big deal.

Russ
"In God we trust All others pay cash"
Member of
NRA
GOA
MCRGO
SAF
Member ACLDN

Coastie

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »
My Taurus pt-145 has a long trigger on it too but I know how far it takes and can now pull it 3/4 of the way first then squeeze the shot. I am used to it so its no big deal.

Russ

+1  My PF-9 has a looong pull, but I'm used to it and know when it will discharge...Practice is the key!    :)

Shawn Hoyle

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 08:08:06 PM »
Ditto with my CW9.
USAF
NRA
ACLDN
NAGR
CST

“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

-Ronald Reagan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Trigger Travel
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 11:39:40 PM »
Yes, CG, long pulls happen.
My 442 is the same way.
Once ya get used to it (I've run about 500 rounds through mine so far), ya come to know when the hammer is going to fall, thereby expecting the "bang". Ciao

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:45:44 AM »
I found that my long trigger finger runs out of squeeze when working with sub-compacts with long trigger pulls. To compensate, I find my self inserting the trigger finger up to the first knuckle joint rather than using the pad of the finger. This lessens the distance that the finger has to travel to pull the trigger until it releases. It does take some practice; however, as the tendency of the trigger finger is to curve outward instead of straight to the rear.

When I transitioned from the Bersa 45UC to the Glock G36, it was very easy to get used to the trigger on the Glock. When I transitioned back to my Bersa 45UC; however, I had a good excuse for range time in order to get re-acquainted with the trigger of the Bersa.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.