Author Topic: Preferred Folding Knife  (Read 4324 times)

gunflintdoc

Preferred Folding Knife
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:33:00 AM »
Please excuse me if this topic has been covered in the past; I could not find an old thread here. Here are the questions:

1. What is your current preferred folding knife for fulltime carry?
2. Why?
3. What else have you tried?
4. Reasons for rejecting previous knives?

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: Preferred Folding Knife
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 11:54:23 AM »
i currently carry a kershaw 1736t with 14c28n steel
it is well designed and in expensive.
you can flip it out with your thumb and your wrist.
or if you really pratice you can popit out with just your thumb.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzx5oZRsus
Time will tell.

mustang125

Preferred Folding Knife
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:52 PM »
I have a kershaw and a benchmade auto knife. I love the auto knife but it is not allowed in some states. I wish there was a map that said what knives could be carried in what states.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2mcn3l

Coastie

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
I have knives that I've had most of my life.  Starting with an Old Timer folder I picked up during high school.  It has two blades which I keep honed razor sharp. 

I carry a number of knives daily.  From a small Swiss army knife (2 blades and small scissors (tweezers and toothpick), to a Spyderco serrated folder, and a SOG multitool on my belt.  They all work independently and each has a specific usage.  If I need to supplement any of these, I do with other folders. 

{This may have also been discussed here:

http://guntoters.com/index.php/topic,466.0.html

However, feel free to continue discussion  :)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »

http://guntoters.com/index.php/topic,466.0.html

However, feel free to continue discussion  :)[/color][/size]
lol ty
Time will tell.

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
I always have a Gerber straight blade folding knife in my pocket.  It gets used for everything around the farm, cutting the strings on hay bales, cleaning poop off you shoes. peeling and slicing apples, digging splinters out of your hand, whittling, all without worrying about washing it.  Yes, I drink out of the garden hose too.  I would not hesitate to use it on a BG if needed but, I would have to sterilize it first so he wouldn't get an infection and sue me.   ;) :D ;D 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:45:13 AM by commonground »
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

RSMorgan

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 05:23:12 PM »
Aside from my 2" Swiss pocket knife, I think the one I'm carrying the most these days is a $20 Gerber I picked-up about a year ago. I'm not particularly fussy about knives: under 4" to stay legal, frame-lock and thumb-activated are my main requirements and the lighter and thinner the better. Kind of too old for fancy knife-fighting anyway. I figure that I'll get one "free" cut or stab from surprise and that will just about be it. Don't need much in the way of a tool, just the willingness to use it.

RSM
The truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

mvaughanusm81

• New User
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
I use a Gerber that is light weight and keeps a good sharp blade.  Its used from anything from fixing instruments, box cutting to cleaning game.  Take it with me like a Mastercard....don't leave home without it.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 03:50:01 AM »
I lost my Gerber a few years back and felt naked until the new one came that I ordered online ($18.00).  Of course after getting the new one I found the old one under the bed :-[  Now I got a BUK (Back Up Knife). ;D
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

Coastie

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
A buddy of mine down in Mobile had lost and then found his Craftsman folder in his yard.  All rusty and such.  Took it back to the local Sears for replacement and the young thing behind the cash register didn't understand that he wanted to swap it for a new folder...not only did he have to speak slowly and repetitively, but had to get the manager involved to eggsplain the Craftsman guarantee to her.  He was happy at the outcome, and the new folder...

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »
A buddy of mine down in Mobile had lost and then found his Craftsman folder in his yard.  All rusty and such.  Took it back to the local Sears for replacement and the young thing behind the cash register didn't understand that he wanted to swap it for a new folder...not only did he have to speak slowly and repetitively, but had to get the manager involved to eggsplain the Craftsman guarantee to her.  He was happy at the outcome, and the new folder...

...Sigh...
Another case against Dr. Spock & "No Child Left Behind", etc...

Moreover, "Hire The Handicapped", and "Equal Opportunity Employer" both come to mind!
...Sigh...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Skip

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01:32 PM »
Kershaw Zing. Adjustable clip positioning, since I'm left-handed. Opens easily with the flipper. It's not assisted-opening, which allows carrying in places that don't allow assited-opening folders.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:58:45 AM »
Please excuse me if this topic has been covered in the past; I could not find an old thread here. Here are the questions:

1. What is your current preferred folding knife for fulltime carry?
2. Why?
3. What else have you tried?
4. Reasons for rejecting previous knives?

Daily, I carry a leatherman Wave, and a Buck folding Alpha Hunter
Because, I use those blades and accessories a great deal for every day things and chores.
I've tried lots of cheap-o's for the same chores and stuff, but have found that they usually break, and always are disappointing - not to mention being a bit embarrassed about it.
Reasons for rejection have been many; cheap looks, cheap steel, feels "wrong" in my hand, too expensive (high end "nice to have" blades), and general unreliability in the field.

Surprises have occurred.
The "Cold Steel" make of knives gets overlooked a lot by serious blade guys and gals, but I have grown fond of them, having owned two of 'em.
Ya can pay a lot more money for a particular style of knife, and not get a proportional increase in quality.
Check Cold Steel out!  I doubt anyone will be disappointed with their products.
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

SARGeek

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
I had thought that we had covered this elsewhere but it may have been in the "other forum"...

EDC for me:

Left pocket: Carry a mid-size Victorinox (Swiss Army) with screwdrivers, scissors, etc. Clipped to the top of the pocket (or often the near edge of the back pocket) is a CRKT M16-12Z that has done yeoman work for years. The Victorinox is a replacement for one that was "lost" from my luggage on a flight to Miami but it has been going strong for 20+ years. The CRKT has been doing well for about 7 but I am looking at the Cold Steel folders and the Ka-Bar TDI that Taurian reviewed a while back.

On my pack I carry a Gerber Multiplier in a PALS sheath on he outside of the daypack. Keeps it off my belt but handy.
SARGeek

Coastie

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 10:25:17 AM »
I, too, like the  Victorinox and have a couple.  The other has a number of useful gadgets...and set me bak a pretty penny...

Watching the "How It's Made" channel on Victorinox was highly interesting.  It's a good tool, and nowadays they have them with USB - 16GB memory adapters, rifle/gun tools (JIC), pens, magnifying glasses, reflecting mirror for SOS, Swisstool Plus Bit Torx - #10 #15, Swiss Tool Spirit Ratchet,
Cybertool Bit - #8 Torx/4mm Hex Bit, Cybertool Bit - #0/#1 Pozidrive Bit, SwissTool Plus Pozidrive Bit, SwissTool Plus Replacement Wrench (I knew about the pliers but not these tools), GolfTool - Replacement Ball Marker; not to mention all the other dozens of toolz.
http://www.victorinox.com/us/content/swissarmy/category/1

Shoot they even have multi-tools...

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 09:00:54 AM »
What do you call an inept person who carries an extremely sharp Balisong knife?
Stubs!
Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.

GTG

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 04:00:53 PM »
Kershaw Zero Tolerance Assisted Opening; Is About The Most Rugged Knife I Have Found Of this Type... Not Used For Anything But Defence. ;)
'The illegal we do immediately; the unconstitutional takes a little longer.' Henry Kissinger

"A Nation Of Sheep Will Beget A Government Of Wolves" Edward D Murrow

"Either We Are A Country Of Laws With A Constitution, Or We Are A Banana Republic"

mustang125

Preferred Folding Knife
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »
I carry a Benchmade assisted opening knife. I have a cold steel fixed blade in my car and my bike. Why the benchmade? Quality quality and quality. I have broken two kersaw knives so although they are sharp they are not my choice for defense.
Why the Coldsteel fixed blade? Quality quality quality. I have a Benchmade auto knife but it is not legal everywhere so it is in my SHTF bag. I love knifes as much as I love guns.