Author Topic: laser #2  (Read 1708 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
laser #2
« on: May 05, 2012, 04:53:12 PM »
I am looking at some inexpensive options for my Glock30.
http://www.cdnninvestments.com/taspredmilar.html
Has any one had experience with this one?
what are the pros and cons?
What is your opinion?
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

Coastie

Re: laser #2
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 06:15:28 PM »
I've noticed that some of these cheaper lasers have aluminum mounts, which isn't bad if you keep it one one weapon, but when you change it, the screw holes tend to strip..., so insure the place you intend to buy these from have spare side mounts that you may get later one. 
I bought a NcStar laser for about $25 or so, and the above happened to me.  Luckily the manufacturer has replacements.  (No it doesn't fit in the concealment t-shirt...)

Also insure this works with the style of holster you have now.  Although the CT (Crimson trace) grip lasers may be a little more dollar wise, using a grip laser won't require you to get a new holster...

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:15:06 PM »
you can google
TAR199and find them even cheaper.

So I don't know the quality of this unit. but compared to the price of the others I can buy several before I reach the 90 to 180 dollars that some of the others cost.
thanks
Robert
Time will tell.

Coastie

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
you can google
TAR199and find them even cheaper.

So I don't know the quality of this unit. but compared to the price of the others I can buy several before I reach the 90 to 180 dollars that some of the others cost.
thanks
Robert

So if the cheap stuff fails, you die content that you've saved your survivors a couple of hundred bucks to help with your funeral expenses?

Unless you can change the unit out as quick as you replace a magazine, this should be a consideration.

Not that these are necessarily bad because they're lower-priced, but you get my drift.

High-priced doesn't equal quality, no. I do put better odds on quality as the price goes up, however. And I have learned starting in IT and then with gun-stuff that you do to a great degree get what you pay for.

Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
the exact same product is really high on most American sites, but cheaper in Korea and it is the same mfg and product.
Time will tell.

Coastie

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 08:16:25 AM »
I recently bought a NcStar laser from  Impact Guns for about $26.  It came with an aluminum mount I believe and when I took it off my pistol to put on my SG I mounting place holes became stripped.  I wrote about this in the review.  So I emailed the company and told them, asked if I could buy another side plate to the aluminum mount.  The rep said not to worry, got my info and promised he'd send out another (side plate I thought).

Well it showed up the other day.  Pretty quick turn around.  When I opened the padded envelope there wasn't a side plate in it, but an entire mount, this time in steel!  Wow...  I've been saying Wow for a couple of days now because NcStar went above and beyond, IMHO!

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
Until the NCStar products have some of the same history of use as Aimpoint or Trijicon or EOTech units, I retain doubts about using them on anything but training guns. I don't need them to be run for ten years by the 82nd Airborne first, but something more than what I know of them so far is what I'm asking after.

If you're going to consider a laser, look at getting a green laser instead of a red one. Longer range and easier to see in daylight conditions.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com