Author Topic: Prepper  (Read 155 times)

pop pop

Prepper
« on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:58 PM »
How many of you have a 2 week supply of food and water on hand in case of an emergency. I was thinking of the Californians and the earth quakes. Should a disaster happen to you, do you have a stash?

I keep about 90 gallons of bottled water and do have a drilled well available(90') which can be drawn from with a well bucket and rope. The water level is within 15' of the top of the casing. 

Also try to keep a good supply or medications ahead.

I also built a large pantry, for my wife a few years ago, and we store a good supply of canned foods along with pastas and dried beans. Just my wife and I could last for a good while, however never hope to face that problem.

Just wondering do you all have any reserves for a rainy day? By the way, I don't consider myself a prepper in a big way.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Prepper
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:21:59 PM »
We have a small stock of MREs, but they're way out of date. Probably still edible, though.
There's a huge water tank on our hill that serves our system's 20 families, but, of course, the pipes will probably break and the water will be lost.
The biggest issue will most likely be toilet paper.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 05:56:24 AM »
Some say one needs a generator. I don't have a generator. They are a lot of trouble to keep maintained. My friends has some and every time they need one they will not start. Our local hospital had an outage, a while back, and neither of their automatic backups came on line. Go figure!   

Several people say one needs at least 3 weeks supply of food and water.

Thanks for the reply, Steve. I keep at least  3 weeks on hand, have 3 alternate water sources, and have plenty of toilet paper.  I think I am good?

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 12:44:08 PM »
We have a small stock of MREs, but they're way out of date. Probably still edible, though.
There's a huge water tank on our hill that serves our system's 20 families, but, of course, the pipes will probably break and the water will be lost.
The biggest issue will most likely be toilet paper.

I recently had to throw out a substantial amount of MREs that went bad.  All that was salvageable was matches and such.  I have invested in long-term (30-year) storage foods, rather than 7-year MREs.  Mountain House (Freeze Dried) also has food buckets, and each family member has their own. Plenty of canned food - lots of beans, pasta...
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »
The problem with Mountain House, and the other freeze-dried foods as well, is that they require water.

Maybe where you are, water is plentiful and available.
But here, if you want water you need electricity to pump it up quite a long distance out of the ground.
And in a disaster, both water and electricity will be scarce, here'bouts.

Stocking canned food may be a better idea for us, even if we have to "rotate" it frequently.
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 01:18:38 PM »
We keep a lot of canned goods; especially non-condensed soups, beans, vegetables, beef stew, etc. and rotate them as often as possible.

As long as it's kept high and dry and as cool as possible, canned goods can last a long time - even Tuna Fish. Made a Tuna Fish sandwich just yesterday with a can from 2015.

You are right about water - very crucial. We have 7-gallon water storage containers that can be filled quickly, and a bladder for each bathtub that can be also filled quickly. We also have 55-gallon water drums filled with treated water. During an emergency, all water will need to be boiled regardless if it is treated or not - and I have provisions for that.

Have to consider the family pets as well. My three dogs; Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner and four cats for a touch of Chinese, should get us through three weeks.  :o 
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 01:47:09 PM »
Are your four cats named Moo-Shu, Chow-Fun, Cha-Shu, and Lo-Mein?

Suggestion: Put in a stock of sweet-and-sour sauce. Everything goes well, covered in sweet-and-sour sauce.
(My mother used to say that I would eat sh*t, if it were covered with chocolate. She was right.)
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 01:55:09 PM »
Are your four cats named Moo-Shu, Chow-Fun, Cha-Shu, and Lo-Mein?

Suggestion: Put in a stock of sweet-and-sour sauce. Everything goes well, covered in sweet-and-sour sauce.
(My mother used to say that I would eat sh*t, if it were covered with chocolate. She was right.)

'Sizzlin' Happy Family?

We always have Soy Sauce and Sweet n' Sour sauce on hand.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 03:46:37 PM »
A friend of mine and I once tried Happy Families at a really authentic Chinese restaurant.

Talk about prepper food!
The sea-slug component was a little too much for us. Sea slugs in brown hoi-sin sauce is just not my, well, cup of jasmine black.
We could've taken the sea slugs home in a "doggy bag," and saved them for Jean, to eat in an emergency.
Steve,

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 08:37:04 PM »
I have nothing to say to this conversation . . . . .
When it got to eating slugs that sent me over the edge . . . .
I think I'll go get some ice cream from the fridge and cover it in raspberry jam and chocolate sauce . . . .  Good Night Irene!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."