Author Topic: SAVOY Holster for 1911 - Product Review  (Read 219 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
SAVOY Holster for 1911 - Product Review
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:51:20 AM »
Download or click to use the Adobe Reader on-line to read a review on a new holster for my 1911's.

Comments are welcomed.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: SAVOY Holster for 1911 - Product Review
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Although you believe that your new Savoy holster presents your 1911 at the FBI's 15° cant, to my eye it looks like 45° (compared to a line through the belt clips).

While I realize that the Savoy concept spaces the belt clips extremely far apart in order to spread the weight of the pistol it carries over a much wider area, it is not a concept with which I agree.
I worry that, over time, the widely-spaced belt clips will permit the leather to sag between them. Stiff as the leather may be right now, time and use will inevitably see it soften somewhat. Thus, a sag may occur.

The Savoy holster appears to be well made, but it seems to be dyed with an opaque colorant in order to get a gray appearance on tan base material.
In my experience, opaque leather colorants (which are not dyes, because they don't penetrate the leather) will eventually flake off in hard-wear and frequently-flexed areas. This would be unsightly.

Of course, my experience with leather ended almost 40 years ago, and my knowledge may be far behind the times. And, as Dillon pointed out, The Times They Are A'Changin'.
(That doesn't apply to The New York Times, of course. I have it on reliable information that it will never change. Ever.)
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »
Steve, you are correct about the cant. It is greater than 15-degrees. It does; however, place the butt of the pistol at a more natural angle for the hand to grab. This is good, because the holster does sit somewhat high. The draw is more to the front rather than up.

You may be right about "holster sag" but I really think that this holster is going to outlast me.I don't know what dye or dye process is being used, but it does seem to be more than just surface deep.

There is very little movement in the pants when the holster is mounted so it will be interesting to see how it wears over time and movement.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 08:20:21 AM »

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 09:46:15 AM »
I turned it so it would sit horizontal on a belt . . . or whatever.
Not my style, looks like to much fufu as the says goes.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 10:21:29 AM »
I turned it so it would sit horizontal on a belt . . . or whatever.
Not my style, looks like to much fufu as the says goes.
The picture does not do justice to the holster. Besides, you see none of this when the holster is mounted IWB.