Author Topic: How I Spent My Christmas Vacation  (Read 173 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
How I Spent My Christmas Vacation
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:51:47 PM »
As Iíve said before, my stepfather was a medical doctor, a war hero, and not a nice man. Among the things that he required from me was an ability to ďignore pain and get on with it.Ē While this is a useful trait among the Green Berets, it is not helpful to a sub-teen boy, sent to school carrying a miserable head cold which impeded his learning and infected his schoolmates.

So the legacy of his sadistic instruction has been that I ignored the abdominal pain which which I had been suffering during the past few months. Bad idea, that!

The few members of my family who reside on this little island and the nearby mainland met on Christmas day to exchange gifts and to enjoy a wonderful home-cooked meal. A good time was had by all, including me.

Next day, my appendix burst, and I was rushed into emergency surgery at the very-well-respected little hospital just across the water from our home. The Med-Evac flight was uneventful (and the flight nurse pretty).
I was later told that the life-saving surgery was so successful that there had been dancing and singing in the OR, immediately afterward. I wouldnít know.

In the process of saving my life, my entire abdomen had to be emptied of its contents, with my guts laying on a nearby table while the power-washing and vacuuming was going on. After an extensive clean-up, my internal parts were returned to their rightful places, as much as possible, my belly was stapled closed, and I was sent to recover in a nice room with a lovely view of the snow-covered mountains to the east.

Well, now Iím home again. I missed New Yearís, which is OK, considering that I almost also missed all of my subsequent birthdays (January 10th) in a very permanent manner. People die from burst appendices all the time, but, so far, I have not been one of them.

In the process, I have learned that my beloved Jean is a treasure beyond all comprehension, that our island has a superb volunteer fire department with very competent and compassionate EMTs, and that there is at least one surgeon in our mainland hospital who is not only exceptionally talented, but is also possessed of a sardonic sense-of-humor which matches my own.

I think that I may also have learned, finally, not to ignore pain. In appendicitis, you hurt for a longish time, the pain finally peaks, the pain goes away, and then you die. A burst appendix doesnít hurt, but it very quickly creates an almost incurable abdominal sepsis.

Iím not quite back to normal, but we expect a breakthrough at any moment now.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
Re: How I Spent My Christmas Vacation
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 03:47:22 PM »
WHEW! . . . . WOW! . . . . . . and of course a "Golly Gee Whiz!!
Couldn't think of what else to say after reading your dissertation of the adventitious events that you have encountered.
Happy New Year and Welcome Back to the everyday world!

Oh! Yeah! Happy Birthday pretty soon . . . . Don't forget to celebrate!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 06:03:45 PM »
Good Golly Miss Molly!! WHAT?? WOW!! Katie, bar the door! What a way to spend the holidays!  I wish there were something that I could do for you Steve... wait... there is. I will tell you a joke. I know that jokes don't belong here, and it is really not that good of a joke, (Cuz we wouldn't want you to pop a staple of something) Maybe just a little giggle will help. Anyways, in your case we will make an exception.

Here goes:  'Ya know, it's a shame that more things are not made in America anymore. I bought my wife a tv for Christmas and the box said built in antenna. I don't even know where antenna is!   ::)  Get better brother, get better!

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 06:39:43 PM »
 ;D    ;D    ;D
Thanks!
Steve,

pstan13

• Stan
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 07:18:01 AM »
Iím glad the surgery went well for you Steve. I know a burst appendix is a serious problem. Years ago, when I was just a kid, my father had a stomach ache. He went to his doctor, but it took a while to figure out what the cause was because the symptoms didnít match very well. It got worse and they finally decided to do exploratory surgery. They found his appendix had just burst. They cleaned it out as best they could, but didnít stitch or staple him up. As I remember, they kind of laced him up with buttons so they could go back in if needed to clean him out again. Everything turned out fine.

Follow the doctorís orders and get well soon!

Stan
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

flyover

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 07:34:33 AM »
And I thought my Christmas didn't turn out well.

Good to hear that you are healing up.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 11:20:03 AM »
It's good that you are going to be among the English a bit longer. Best wishes and heal quickly! I guess that Appendix Carry is out of the question for a while.  ;)
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 12:58:48 PM »
...I guess that Appendix Carry is out of the question for a while.  ;)

Well, certainly I now have lots of room, down where my appendix was...

We're going to the mainland tomorrow, to have my belly-drain tube removed (which will be painful).
I will be carrying, but probably only Jean's Kel-Tec in a pocket holster.
I must remember to restrain myself, and to not draw-down on the surgeon as he does his work, painful as it might get.
Steve,

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 12:07:09 PM »
Well you lost some body parts but certainly retained you sense of humor!
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2019, 04:35:49 AM »
WOW! Glad you came out of this ok, we have more in common!

My surgery was about 45 years ago, and my scar goes straight down the middle of my stomach, belly button to um? Just short of well! The male member

Hope your recovery goes fast
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

pop pop

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2019, 07:51:33 AM »
All I can say is, "Atta Boy" Steve. BBBIG ordeal! Glad things are doing well and happy Birthday also.

I will be 71 in early March, and I know you have a few years on me. With all my problems, to borrow a phrase from Mini-Pearl, "I'm just so proud to be here!"

Praying for your continued improvement, Steve.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 12:19:03 PM »
Shawn: A surprising number of burst appendices seem to be surfacing all around me. The local ones, including a four-year-old girl, have all been treated by the surgeon who "did" me. He seems extremely competent.
I'm sorry that you, too, had to go through this.

Roger: Thank you! And I'm pretty happy to still be here, too.
Steve,