Author Topic: Hearing Aids  (Read 498 times)

pop pop

Hearing Aids
« on: December 14, 2018, 04:56:22 AM »
I picked up my new hearing aids, today, from the V A here locally. Got a lot to read and learn about them. Talked to the Dr and she told me about them and adjusted them to my hearing loss patterns they recorded from my latest hearing test. They have rechargeable batteries and you just sit them in a charger over night, then they suppose to last 24 hrs per charge. Each aid is adjusted for each ear. My right has more hearing loss (50%)than my left(28%).

I have been wearing them for the past 5 hours and one is kinda irritating my ear, however it is because I am not accustomed to having it in my ear, and I also took a short nap with them in my ear. The book says this is a no no.

The aids have a (color of my hair) battery pack, very small, that sits behind each ear and a very thin wire drapes down to an insert that fits inside my ear canal. Each also has a thin clear plastic wire like piece, about 2" long, that lays inside of my ear and helps hold the transmitter in the ear canal. The Dr said these are the state of the art and should last between 4 to 6 years. I am totally thrilled about the rechargable batteries. 

I can hear once again. My wife loves them. Says I am talking much softer. No loud TV or radio. I can't ignore her any longer.

Hope I get accustomed to them because they will/do help.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Hearing Aids
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 10:46:32 AM »
You can nap with them in place, IF you don't lay down so that your head will roll over onto one of them.
(Mine sit within my ears, so I don't have that problem.)

When I got mine, the technician told me: "The good thing is that you will now be able to hear everything. The bad thing is that you will now be able to hear everything."
When I'm at a party or in a crowd, I cannot distinguish separate voices, so it all sounds like an overwhelmingly loud gabble-honk. Some amount of direction-discernment is lost, which means that localizing individual speakers is extremely difficult.
However, the improvement over our mutual "normal" hearing is amazing. I can hear music again, for instance. So might you.

Good luck with them, Roger.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

LEJoe

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
We are happy for you pop pop.  ;)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 04:30:23 AM »
That's good to hear, Pop Pop! No pun intended.

Unfortunately, most things that people say, I don't need to hear in the first place.

My wifey thinks that my hearing is perfect; I just nod my head or say yes to anything that she says to me.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 02:26:36 PM »
...My wifey thinks that my hearing is perfect; I just nod my head or say yes to anything that she says to me.

After I had stolen Jean from their son, Jean's ex-father-in-law gave me some very useful advice:
"There are but two little words, which are all you need to maintain peace and harmony in a marriage. They are: 'Yes, dear!'"
Steve,

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 05:34:19 PM »
Remember this . . . . It will take you sometime to get used to them.
Do not stop wearing them even though hearing in a crowded situation will be very difficult.
I have had mine for a little more than 10 years and I can tell you that your memory of what hearing was is not what you are NOW learning to do!
It will be different . . . . .  with normal hearing when you heard something you could easily know where the sound was coming from. That will not be the case from here on out. Sometimes when I am outside and hear something I will turn around and listen again to see if I can locate the sound again. If you are a dog lover take your dog with you.
Mostly I do not know when someone drives up to my house. But Hoss always does and after a while I have learned to understand some of his barks. There is a difference when a known vehicle arrives and an strange vehicle drives down my drive way.
This may not be important to you at your location but in my rural location and a 800 foot long driveway it makes a very big difference.
Do not let the newest of the hearing aids cause you to stop wearing them. In time you will adjust a learn to appreciate them. Especially when you wake in the morning and put them on to begin your day. Just so you know when I take mine of to go to bed I cannot even hear the telephone ringing. Friends and family know this and always leave a message. Some of them get pretty funny.

Good Luck and enjoy your new found touch with reality . . . . .
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

flyover

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2018, 07:32:36 AM »
So, have you changed your will yet?    ;D

Old joke, could not resist.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 12:03:58 PM »
 ;D    ;D    ;D
Steve,

pop pop

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:43:13 AM »
Right now, the inside of my ear canal is itching at times. How do you cope with that? Is that something one gets accostomed too after porlonged use?

When I put them on, in the morning, they are too loud and I need to back them down a couple clickn on the remote. The DR told me they reset to a middle position when placed  back on the stand to recharge.  By the way I am wearing them all day, every day. When I take them off at night it is amazing how much my hearing had deteriorated.

My plan is to totally utilize the aids.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
Right now, the inside of my ear canal is itching at times. How do you cope with that? Is that something one gets accostomed too after porlonged use?...

I clean my ears, all around the inside, with a Q-Tip every morning, before putting my aids in.
Just don't go in too deeply. Stay away from your eardrums.

The problem seems to arise from ear-wax build-up and moisture.
The Q-Tip seems to take care of that.
Steve,

NorCalChuck

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 03:29:55 PM »
Good advice . . . . . and excellent practice to follow.
Although I do my cleaning procedure in the evening before going to bed.
Adjust to what works best for you.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

pop pop

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:33:22 AM »
Thanks guys.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
How come I can hear the voices in my head just fine without a hearing aid? ;D
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 02:24:06 PM »
How come I can hear the voices in my head just fine without a hearing aid? ;D

Works the same as the "floaters" in my eyes: I see them much better when I'm wearing glasses.

I mean, it's obvious. Right?
Steve,

NorCalChuck

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 09:10:58 AM »
Better yet what if this were true?

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 10:43:28 AM »
Better yet what if this were true?

You mean, it's not?