Author Topic: Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 Review  (Read 497 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 Review
« on: August 05, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »
Well, here it is! The long-awaited, much-anticipated review of the “Windham Weaponry 7.62×39 SRC” Model: R16M4FTT-762 review. There is no need to hold your breath any longer!

Of course, I am kidding. I doubt rather the review was long-awaited or much anticipated, let alone known about.

Anyway, this will be my last review for a while.  Work that actually pays is demanding more of my time and attention. So, there is going to be a long dry spell of reading reviews from me.

I hope that you enjoy the read: http://guntoters.com/blog/2018/08/05/windham-weaponry-7-62x39-src/
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

LEJoe

Re: Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 Review
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 05:37:15 PM »
Thank you Taurian.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
An update to the "MSR47" project is available. I have good news, and I have bad news.

I hope that you enjoy the read: http://guntoters.com/blog/2018/08/05/windham-weaponry-7-62x39-src/
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

flyover

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2018, 07:48:10 AM »
Another very good report.
I have been told that the direct impingement guns need to be run 'wet' as opposed to dry/or dryer than the piston guns.
Interested to find out if increased lubrication improved the function of the rifle.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2018, 08:42:18 AM »
I updated the review with today's findings.

It seems that it may have been a ammunition issue.

And yes, I made sure that the bolt was lubricated very well, but I do believe that the ammunition used in the latest effort, solved the problem.

If you don't want to read the article to read the update, here is the update:

"If you have read this article you know that the 'MSR47' has had some feeding issues.

Today, the third day of evaluating the Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC resulted in high-praise for the firearm. It seems that the ammunition being fired was the issue with multiple FTFs.

For this range session, I stoked two 10-round magazines and one 30-round magazine with Golden Bear 123-grain HP ammunition.

The Golden Bear 7.62x39mm, 123-grain HP ammunition clocks out at 2404fps, which is faster than the Fiochi 124-grain FMJ ammunition (2310fps) with which I first tested the firearm. It seems that this extra oomph provided more 'ass to the gas' that was being returned to cycle the action. There were absolutely no FTFs and the bolt locked back on the empty magazine every time. This, of course, makes sense.

Consider that the 'MSR47' uses the same buffer and buffer springs as the .556x45mm/.223 Remington version of the WW SRC.  The velocities of these rounds are almost the same (3240fps - 3260fps average). The Fiocchi was running at approximately 2330fps, which is quite a bit lower than even the lowest rated 5.56x45mm/.223 Remington ammunition. Thus, the Fiocchi would not cycle the action properly, because there simply was not enough gas pressure being returned to properly cycle the action.

The Golden Bear, even at approximately 2404fps velocity, was enough to properly cycle the action even though it is still quite a bit lower than .556x45mm/.223 Remington.

Some further experimentation might reveal a 'window' in which the MSR47 operates. For now, I would consider a minimum of 2390fps to properly cycle the action 100% - until I can prove otherwise.
This may limit the MSR47 to certain ammunition, but there is plenty of ammunition that falls above my perceived minimum.  I will try some Wolf Poly Performance (≅ 2410fps), but I prefer the brass-coated (or brass) ammunition to others.

But, this all makes some sort of sense to me. The Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC was intended to fire a Russian cartridge; the hammer spring was beefed up for Berdan primers, the feed ramp was modified to accept the 7.62x39mm cartridge, and magazines that were developed for the AR to house the cartridge and allow them to feed properly function properly.

So, as of this point, I give the Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC a 'ready to launch' status. And, I also give Windham Weaponry lots of credit in solving issues that were with the original Bushmaster (the original Windham Weaponry) carbine in this caliber offering to provide us shooters who really like the 7.62x39mm cartridge and excellent platform from which to shoot them."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
I updated the MSR47 review with the final installment of updates.

I invite you to read the entire review to see how things progressed with the project.
But, seeing how you might have quite a few better things to do on this fine Labor Day weekend, here is the update.

"Range day today was, in as short of terms as possible, excellent. Two new magazines were tested, and the Fiocchi 124-grain FMJ, which gave me multiple FTFs the first day at the range, was run through for function testing to see if this ammunition was a problem.  I am very happy to say that Golden Bear 123-grain HP and Fiocchi 124-grain FMJ ran flawlessly through the MSR47 using multiple magazines.  The MSR47 project is now completed, as far as I am going to take it at this time.

The A2 stock has been replaced with my favorite MAGPUL MOE stock, which now includes front and rear MAGPUL Sling Mount Kits Type 1 and Type 2.

Originally, the MSR47 shipped with one 30-round magazine from D&H Industries. However, Windham Weaponry has switched to shipping magazines from C-Products Defense.  Two C-Products Defense (often referred to as simply CPD) 30-round AR 7.62x39 magazines from Windham Weaponry were evaluated and deemed worthy of running in the MSR47.

From C-Products Defense:  “The AR 7.62 x 39 platform has been a problem for magazines since inception; this is no longer the case. CPD® re-designed the magazine from the ground up and the results have been astounding. Due to its specific geometry combined with CPD®’s proprietary Teflon coating, this stainless steel magazine continues to keep firing on all cylinders with the dirtiest of ammunition. Available in 5rd, 10rd, 20rd, 28rd, and 30rd. A lot of manufacturers are starting to produce new AR rifles because of this magazine.”

You can obtain all the information that you need to order from C-Products Defense (http://cpdmags.com/product-skus/#76239) and from other source to include Windham Weaponry (https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/collections/7-62-x-39mm-magazines-parts).

The C-Products Defense 30-round magazine, as compared to the D&H Industries magazine of the same capacity, is lightly longer and has a more pronounced curve. The Magazine Follower is also of a different design that, like the D&H Products magazine, provides the means for the bolt to remain open on the last round.  The feed portion of the magazine, unlike that of the D&H Products magazine, is not relieved but a difference in feeding with either magazine was not noticed.

The primary difference between C-Products Defense and D&H Product magazines is availability. At this time, only 30-round AR 7.62x39mm magazines are available through D&H Products (with a promise of 20-round magazines in the Fall of this year (2018). As explained above, 5rd, 10rd, 20rd, 28rd, and 30rd C-Products Defense magazines are readily available.  Personally, I prefer 10-round magazines for range use and have a few AR Stoner magazines for that purpose. However, I may be switching to C-Products Defense magazines in the future.

Regardless of the magazine used, the UpLula Loader for them is a definite time-saver when loading the magazines.

So there you have it; the completed MSR47 Project that consists of the following:

• Windham Weaponry 7.62x39 SRC.
  • Hogue Rubber “Finger-Groove grip.
  • Sight Mark 2-7x32mm “Hog Hunter” scope.
  • Warne “Quick Detach” 1” Ultra-High scope rings.
  • MAGPUL “Pro” steel front and rear sights.
  • MAGPUL MOE stock with MAGPUL Sling Mount Kits Type 1 and Type 2.
  • MAGPUL Quick-Detach Sling Swivel.
  • CONDOR Speedy 2 Point Sling.
  I tried to keep things simple but effective, and I think that I have succeeded with that.

At this point, I can truthfully say that I am 100% satisfied with the “Windham Weaponry 7.62 SRC” and would highly recommend it to anyone seeking a MSR platform that chambers 7.62x39mm ammunition."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 12:42:01 PM »
Hey Taurian . . . . I just gotta' ask . . .  .
Have you ever found a pair of shoes that fit comfortably yet?
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
I know that I am going to regret this, but no I have not found a pair of shoes that fit me correctly. I have two right feet.

I have also not found a barber that can cut my hair correctly; therefore, my hair has not been cut in the last two years.

I also have not found a woman who can cook 'Hungarian Goulash' like my Mother did.

I have not found a personality that fits me, although I keep searching for one.

I; however, have found a sense of humor and people tell me that I smile a lot. My smiley face can be seen in Post Offices nation wide..

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
MMM-M-M-m-m-m . . . .  Do you know if perhaps Diogenes is in your ancestral history?

"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »
Well, I don't know if any Dio is in my blood, but their might be some English and Chippewa, and perhaps some Irish genes present. I really don't know; however, since I was orphaned without any knowledge of it and later adopted when I was two years old. Otherwise, I know nothing, except the fact of my ignorance.  ;D