Author Topic: Beer Bread  (Read 1348 times)

Silveressa

• Mourning Wolf
  • New User
    • Co-admin of rolepayingtips.com
Beer Bread
« on: November 19, 2012, 12:04:19 AM »
Yes, surprisingly enough, there's something you can do with beer besides drink it!

Here's a quick and simple beer bread recipe that has a excellent mild sourdough flavor and goes great with pasta and stews.

You will need:

1 12 oz bottle of room temp beer (cans work too but bottled beer tastes better) I recommend Blackberry Wheat by Longtrail, but any warm beer will do.

2 1/2 tsp of yeast

1 tbsp of Honey

1 tsp of salt (This will make the beer foam when adding so be aware)

1 tsp olive or vegetable oil

Approx 3 cups of flour (The actual amount will vary slightly depending on your locations ambient humidity and temp.)

Optional: 1 1/2 tsp of Diastatic malt powder (purely optional but makes for a better rise and flavor/texture)

1 standard greased bread pan (or a simple pizza pan or cookie sheet, also greased)

Cooking Instructions:

Combine beer, yeast, salt, honey, and Diastatic malt powder in a large bowl and stir until well mixed, allowing roughly 3-5 minutes for the yeast to begin proofing.

Stir in olive oil and begin slowly adding flour until mixture becomes thick and doughy, (roughly at the 2 1/2 cup mark) then slowly add additional flour and knead by hand until dough is tacky to the touch but not extremely sticky.

Place in a covered bowl and allow to rise for 1 hour.

After one hour remove dough and re-knead for several minutes, adding additional flour if necessary until the consistency is once again tacky, but not overly sticky.

Place dough in well greased bread pan (or if using a greased pizza pan or cookie sheet simply knead dough into a rough loaf shape) and allow to rise for approximately an additional 30 minutes. (The actual time will vary depending on the ambient temperature of the room.)

While bread is in the final proofing stage preheat oven to 350F (optionally for a moister bread place a coffee cup or pan of water in the oven to raise humidity.)

After bread has risen to 1/4 inch from top of pan (if using a bread pan) place in oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until a medium golden brown.

Remove from oven and place on cooling rack and allow to cool for at least 20-30 minutes before serving. (Cutting hot bread is difficult and the loaf will likely tear.)
"Lead by example or get out of the way."

25 years of firearms experience, 2 years Army National Guard service, CCing for 1 & 1/2 years and counting.

Member of :
Pink Pistols ( http://pinkpistols.org/ )
Second Amendment Sisters ( http://www.2asisters.org/ )

commonground

• Two Beautiful Girls
Re: Beer Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »
Thanks Silveressa,  When I got the stuff out and measured everything, I started where you said "Cooking Instructions:" and for some reason the beer was gone.  I tried it five times with the same results but, I really don't care.
do not go to stupid places with stupid people to do stupid things at stupid times. - Gabe Suarez

mustang125

Beer Bread
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 04:39:22 AM »
Ocifer all I did was had a loaf of bread? :-) Beer has a lot of good uses in cooking. My dad would put it in a lawn sprayer and spray the lawn with it. I do not know what it did but we sure had a green lawn with no fertilizer. Thank for the recipe, I will try that one.