Author Topic: Some people are just too stupid to live  (Read 460 times)

pstan13

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Some people are just too stupid to live
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
Sounds like "suicide by cop" to me.

Sent from BlackBerry KeyOne

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 10:26:53 AM »
Who knows . . . .
From this article it could have been drugs, drunk, crazy or who knows what else.
I wish the media would just report facts and stop trying to selling advertising.
Why does everything have to be presented like a drama series on TV or a comic book?
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »
The man apparently had a mental illness.  He treated the 'pipe' like a child would treat it, it resembled the shape of a handgun, and he pretended to shoot with it. He has probably seen the real thing around his neighborhood and was only emulating what he saw.  Unfortunately, it did not go well for him.

I can't fault the cops; they did what they had to do with the knowledge that they had. There is not a lot of time to distinguish what is a real firearm and what is not, at times. Remember the kid that was killed not too long ago that pointed a toy gun at police officers?

Like a dog does not know he is a dog, a demented man does not know he is demented.  It's only who is around him that recognizes such. He interfaces with his environment from a place we do not understand.

True, some people are too stupid to live. Some; however, just need to be treated. In this case, I don;t think that he got the treatment that he deserved. Or, depending on one's viewpoint, maybe he did.

There was such as man near a place that I once worked at. He walked up and down the street daily. He was disheveled and obviously homeless. Any vehicle that contained a female, driver or passenger, and who would pass him on the street as he walked, he would start a tirade of verbal abuse toward the female occupant.

I later found out that he had been an attorney. When his wife divorced him, she took everything. I guess that she took his mind as well.  It was told that he went into mental collapse after the divorce.  I better understood him after that, but that sure wasn't going to cure his mental state.

Anyway. That's my thoughts.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
The problem is the perception, and maybe even the reality, that when a dark skin is involved, it's "shoot first, and then find out what it was all about."

I'm not writing about Michael Brown, who was a thug, and who got what he deserved, nor Trayvon Martin, who was a murderous idiot, but rather that guy in Staten Island (NY) who was choked to death by cops while resisting arrest for...wait for it...selling individual cigarettes out of his own package, and also this guy with a pipe.

It might be assumed, by a cop who was giving the guy a chance, that if he hadn't fired any shots yet, that maybe his "gun" wasn't one.
And good cop tactics would be for at least two cops (which there were) to simultaneously approach the guy from two different directions, one to distract and one to disarm.
But neither seem to be the case in this instance, and, if I'm right, that really, really bothers me.

What say all of you?
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:54:25 AM »
What the heck let's really have a discussion about this thing that is happening on the streets of America.

Even the military training is better than what we have going on now.
I can recall being told many time to be sure of what you are shooting at before you pull the trigger.
Pay attention and observe . . . . especially when someone is running away from you.
When in combat is an enemy going to run away from you?
As I recall they were always pointing guns at you and shooting at you.
Some were waiting for you to get closer and always from behind cover but I do not recall any standing out in the open and pointing anything that did not go bang?

But then again that was open warfare what we have here is a police action?
Or is it a form of warfare?
Any other thoughts???
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:55:24 AM »
Remember, there is something in police work that is called "The Force Continuum." It can start with simple commands or deadly force, and places in between, depending on what the subject is doing.

I am not going to second-guess the LEOs involved.  From the initial photos that I saw with the suspect holding the object, the object appeared to be the barrel of a gun. Only after looking closer, I could see that it was not the barrel of a gun.  Police get very excitable when faced with what they perceive as a firearm being pointed at them (or another). In fact, I get a little excited about that myself, and I am no longer a LEO. It might be human nature, or it might be just me.

I don't think that race played into this at all, although there will be many who will believe otherwise. In this case, I think that the LEOs were simply responding to a threat. I will admit; however, that most LEOs are not well-trained in trigger control, which can lead to NDs and rounds not going where they should go.

The officers will be cleared of any wrong-doing, I believe. It will be a justified shooting.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

flyover

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
It sure looks like a gun at first glance. I am glad that I did not have to make the decision in this case.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 09:54:51 AM »
Me too

Sent from BlackBerry KeyOne

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

LEJoe

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 04:58:02 PM »
People that do this kind of stupid stuff are just asking for it.