Author Topic: Thoughts on .338 Win Mag  (Read 896 times)

SARGeek

Thoughts on .338 Win Mag
« on: May 14, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »
Hi All,

Interested to hear your thoughts on the effectiveness, strengths, weaknesses, uses, and viability of the .338 Win Mag. as a caliber.

I recently "inherited" about 250 rounds, dies, brass and bullets for another 300 rounds, and generally everything aside from a gun to get the caliber going.

I am toying with the idea of getting a used Rem 700 BDL (or used barreled action of same) and outfitting it with the Magpul Precision Hunter stock (long action) for use as an elk gun and to fill the empty long-range rifle slot in my collection. Ballistics look surprisingly solid. It's not a .338 Lapua Mag but it's very close and looks to be about half the cost to operate.

My understanding from friends is that this is a very popular round in Alaska for all-around big game (elk, moose, bear). It also seems to *gaining* popularity in Africa as an alternative to the .375 H&H. Although not quite as hard-hitting, it apparently does somewhat better at longer ranges. And some research has shown that it was very popular with sporting editors in the 80's and 90's. But Remington hasn't made it in the 700 since 2009, although Winchester still makes a very nice Model 70 in that caliber.

So fire away with your thoughts on the matter. There is a wealth of experience here and I am looking for your input.

Thanks!
SARGeek

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Thoughts on .338 Win Mag
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Hello SarGeek,
I regret to say that I have never heard anything, pro or con, about this round.

My inner ballistics​ child whispers to me that this round could be a seriously hot SOB...but then, I've heard those whispers before and been wrong when I followed their advice.

Can't say I've ever bought a gun to match ammo before!
But, I really like the concept!

Please let us know what you decide!

Stand Tall, Speak Truth, Never Surrender

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

SARGeek

Re: Thoughts on .338 Win Mag
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
Thanks OR!

I priced the ammo and it is quite a hefty value. And it fits a hole in my lineup. But I am limited to my own research and was hoping to leverage some experience if that was possible.

I will update when I make a decision. It will likely be June sometime before that happens so don't look for it tomorrow.

Thanks again!
SARGeek