Author Topic: UPS @#XX!!!  (Read 482 times)

flyover

UPS @#XX!!!
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
I ordered 10 plastic 100 round count ammo boxes from Midway and received the shipment today. UPS managed to shred 5 of them. The shipping box shows no damage.
I called Midway and 5 replacement boxes are on the way.  I have to say that Midway has, for me at least, very good customer service.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: UPS @#XX!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
...UPS managed to shred 5 of them. The shipping box shows no damage...

How the heck did UPS manage to accomplish that particular bit of wizardry?

I used to be in charge of packing and shipping for the electronic-chassis manufacturing company that was my last line of work.
I have lots of experience, finding out all of the adverse things that the UPS's squad of highly trained gorillas could do to a shipment.
I have never seen a shipment that they had marmilized, that didn't show at least some evidence of disruption on its exterior.

Please advise.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

flyover

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
The ammo boxes were stacked on the side, one corner of the shipping box shows a definite, what I would call an impact crinkle. Also there was no packing material between the ammo boxes and the side of the shipping box. Other than that no damage to the shipping box. The impact was enough to remove over 1/2 of the lid and severely damage the hinge on one box. Another ammo box has a split down the side of the lid and a lot of hinge damage. The other 3 have severe to light hinge damage, any where from split 3/4 of its length to just under a quarter inch in length.
I would like to see a vid of the shipment during transit just to see what and how it got damaged..

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 03:49:32 PM »
UPS has an in-house football team (Rugby style, Australian rules).
The team members use packages of a certain size and weight in their drop-kicking practice.

I'm surprised that you didn't already know this.
I'm even more surprised that Midway's shipping department didn't already know this.

Once you have learned the UPS team's parameters, you just have to know to use a different size box, or to add weight to the Rugby-size box as required.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 06:33:19 AM »
...UPS managed to shred 5 of them. The shipping box shows no damage...

How the heck did UPS manage to accomplish that particular bit of wizardry?

I used to be in charge of packing and shipping for the electronic-chassis manufacturing company that was my last line of work.
I have lots of experience, finding out all of the adverse things that the UPS's squad of highly trained gorillas could do to a shipment.
I have never seen a shipment that they had marmilized, that didn't show at least some evidence of disruption on its exterior.

Please advise.
Not long ago, my wife send some old China she had that belonged to her mother who passed in 2013, my wife last living relative live in Twin Falls,  Minnesota  and asked if she could have the China, so my wife had brought the China to UPS, had them packed, paid for insurance, and off they go, well? When they arrived, the three boxes looked liked they played 4 innings of football with the packing, and not one piece of China survived, my wife's  aunt (87 years old) was devastated, along with my wife, when informed UPS, they asked us to fill out a claim form and send pictures, we did everything they ask for, and they said they did a internal investigation and determined they where not at fault! And refuse to pay the insured amount, if UPS is not at fault! Who is? They had possession of the items! I will never use UPS for any service again!
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

flyover

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 08:40:23 AM »
USPS in't any better. They trashed a very nice Marlin Deluxe lever action rifle stock. The rifle was well packaged, USPS response was, Nope,wasn't us that did that.

LEJoe

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 01:07:08 PM »
Midway has always been good with me. They do a great job.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 07:16:20 AM »
Unfortunately, Midway "loosely" packs all ammunition. I have had, on several occasions, .22LR ammunition that was packed in plastic containers (for example, CCI and Winchester) arrive damaged due to shifting in the shipping box. 

I have e-mailed Midway about their packaging. A flooding of e-mails to them might force them to alleviate the packaging situation?  Midway is supposed to have a booth at the NRA meeting here in Atlanta this month.  I will make a point to visit them and discuss the matter personally.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.