Author Topic: Field Dressing a Deer!  (Read 1213 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Field Dressing a Deer!
« on: November 18, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »
I remember in my Northern Michigan youth seeing a lot of hunted and demised deer strapped to hoods of cars and trucks as they were brought to the tag station.  I field dressed a deer for my first and last time when I was sixteen years of age under the tutelage of my cousin who was older than I and an avid deer hunter.  Field dressing a deer was a messy affair then and that hasn't changed, although techniques for doing so have.

Of the few "Preppers" that I know, there is not one who knows how to dress game.  They are not hunters, but are foragers of long-term foods in cans and pouches. Hunting, killing, and preparing game for consumption is usually not on the things-to-do list - even if they live in rural areas. The fact is that our population is dependent on others to provide us with food, and have it delivered to a convenient outlet for our convenience. 

Even with today's hunters, most will outsource meat preparation to processing facilities that takes care of the "processing" part, but the pre-processing part still remains a task to be done in the field.

In actuality, field dressing a deer is probably less stressful than trying to dress a Kardashian for a public appearance; You don't have to spend hours trying to figure out what lip gloss is suitable. To put it simply, a big buck is easier to process than a big butt!

Outdoor Hub has published a simple guide to field dressing a deer: Infographic: The BEST Way to Field-Dress a Deer: http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2016/11/17/, which I call the 'Layman's Guide to the Mud, the Blood, and the Deer."

Part of survival is knowing how to do things we have never done before, because we just might have to do things uncommon to our current daily lives. I just might have to pull out that "Possum Stew" recipe that I filed away under JIC (Just In Case).

This is not what is meant by "Dressing a Deer!"

[attach=1]
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Field Dressing a Deer!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 04:35:04 PM »
...This is not what is meant by "Dressing a Deer!"

[attach=1]

I should hope not!
That's an antelope, and African at that.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 04:15:22 AM »
...This is not what is meant by "Dressing a Deer!"

[attach=1]

I should hope not!
That's an antelope, and African at that.
Something old, something Gnu
Something borrowed, something Blue!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
"I'm a Gnu, spelled G-N-U.
I'm the g'nicest g'sort of g'animal in the g'zoo!
I'm not nasty in the least,
Like the heartless Hartebeast;
Oh, g'no, g'no, g'no,
I'm a Gnu!"
(approximately Flanders and Swan: "I'm a Gnu.")
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 01:15:22 PM »
I quested to find Gnu quotes, but most must be old. "No Gnu quotes" was stated with letters of bold.

As one lion said to the other, "It's time to watch the evening Gnus!"

Is no Gnus good Gnus?

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »
...As one lion said to the other, "It's time to watch the evening Gnus!"...
Jean absolutely loved that one.
It'll be passed on.

Jean's star pupil, a 10-year-old who does her own very successful choreography and who delivers amazing community-theater dance performances, has a six-year-old brother who does a pretty good (for six) comedy routine. He specializes in knock-knock jokes and outrageous puns, using the master-of-ceremonies as his straight man.
He will make very good use of your Gnu line. (Well, it'll be gnu to him, anyway.)
Steve,

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
...Is no Gnus good Gnus?
Not for the lions, it isn't.

We've been doing some bird watching up here.
Today we saw a red-headed nut scratcher, a rosy-breasted pushover, and a vested interest.

Later: We just looked out our window and saw a pair of really big tits!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:47:55 PM by M1911A1 »
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2016, 03:44:11 AM »
We have a neighborhood cat that looks like "Sylvester" so we have named him "Puddy Tat" in honor of the cartoon character.

Sylvester is a hunter and antagonizes the local tit population every time they come to feed. Usually; however, they see "Puddy Tat" before he can do any damage and they fly away.  One day, there was some small tits feeding and "Puddy Tat" went on the hunt. This day he was lucky and managed to take a tit.  I guess that you could say it was, "Tit for Tat!"