Author Topic: The South is not Backward - Awkward maybe!  (Read 827 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
The South is not Backward - Awkward maybe!
« on: November 03, 2016, 03:03:20 PM »
Do I really have to admit that this is in my adopted State of Georgia?

What's that? Just the sound of a banjo.

Let's just say that this article is not a stunning endorsement for this group.

Reuters sent a video news crew to capture the antics of a self-styled militia in Georgia, and what they filmed is pretty much what we’ve seen pretty much every time a news crew has filmed “militia training” since the 1990s.

Lord Please Deliver Us From Meal Team 6: http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/11/03/lord-please-deliver-us-meal-team-6/?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: The South is not Backward - Awkward maybe!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »
Well, the author of this article was not kind to the people being described.
I have personal reasons for not ever joining one of these militias. Be that as it may, the folks that DO sacrifice their time, energy and money in this manner deserve, IMHO, some basic respect.
I don't care if they don't all wear their gear "properly" or if their weapons are not all modern.  They are TRYING.  That counts for something in my book.

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 04:46:39 AM »
Go, Wolverines!!

I agree that the author was not kind to this militia.  An acquaintance once asked me, "Who needs an AR15 anyway?"  I didn't bother to answer the question because the answer would be lost in her muddled mind.  These are the same people who would ask, "Who needs a militia, anyway?"  These are the same people who think that the police is sitting right around the corner and just waiting to come to their rescue.  These are the same people that could not think of some entity coming to their door to drag them kicking and screaming to their death.

You see, militias are now considered "enemies of the state" and the most visible of these militias is "Oath Keepers."  The SPLC has included this organization in its list of "Hate and Extremist Groups."  I find that fascinating since one of the "friends" of OK is the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA).  It would seem, then, that anyone (or any organization) associated with upholding the Constitution is considered as detrimental to government operations. 

Why do we need militias?  Thomas Jefferson once said, "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."  That is why we need militias.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 03:20:51 PM »
I have a slightly different view.
I think that practicing the wrong things in the wrong way is worse than no practice at all.
The guys shown in the video seemed to be buffoons because they are buffoons: They have no real idea of what they are doing.

I learned basic team and squad tactics from a former Marine infantryman. He didn't require us to dress like military people, or even to act like military people, but rather only to think like people who were both hunting and being hunted.
I admit that those of us who participated in this very basic infantry training were not taught much, but we were taught the basic stuff from which to build experience and technique. And what we learned materially helped us in our competition endeavors.

A well-regulated militia is not composed of people who dress like soldiers and are armed like soldiers, but rather of people who have been trained somewhat like soldiers and who think like soldiers.
Clothes (and guns) do not make the (militia-) man.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:35:53 AM »
Clothes (and guns) do not make the (militia-) man.

I agree with your line of thinking.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 11:41:58 AM »
SIGH! . . . . . . What can one say when they call themselves Three Percent's.
I would say that 3 Percent is a pretty accurate assessment.
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »
Go, Wolverines!!

I agree that the author was not kind to this militia.  An acquaintance once asked me, "Who needs an AR15 anyway?"  I didn't bother to answer the question because the answer would be lost in her muddled mind.  These are the same people who would ask, "Who needs a militia, anyway?"  These are the same people who think that the police is sitting right around the corner and just waiting to come to their rescue.  These are the same people that could not think of some entity coming to their door to drag them kicking and screaming to their death.

You see, militias are now considered "enemies of the state" and the most visible of these militias is "Oath Keepers."  The SPLC has included this organization in its list of "Hate and Extremist Groups."  I find that fascinating since one of the "friends" of OK is the Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA).  It would seem, then, that anyone (or any organization) associated with upholding the Constitution is considered as detrimental to government operations. 

Why do we need militias?  Thomas Jefferson once said, "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."  That is why we need militias.

Well, I wasn't aware that Oath Keepers are considered a "militia".  So then, I retract my statement that I'll NEVER join a "militia"...since I DID join Oath Keepers earlier this year by sending in dues and hanging my membership certificate on the wall, next to my plaque displaying The Ranger Creed.

No, I do NOT dress up in tactical garb and patrol the woods.  I got plenty of that in the real army 44+ years ago.

Now, I vehemently assert that I do NOT consider Oath Keepers to be a "militia", at least not in the sense we are talking about in this thread.  SPLC can call anyone they wish to be a "hate group" or a "militia"...shucks, the Mickey Mouse Club may fall into their definitions for all I know...and for all I care.

Long ago, I was walking through an office in Sacramento, CA and while passing one of the cubicles I saw a poster on the far wall.  The poster was a photo of several Hippos standing in a river, and they all had their mouths WIDE open.  The caption beneath them read, "When all is said and done, there's a lot more said than done."

That quotation pretty much sums up what I feel about the SPLC, and "The View", and any and all who are so vocal about identifying and categorizing this or that in effort to somehow feel better about themselves.
Another way to say it is, "Talk is cheap"...and "put your money where your mouth is".

Actions speak louder than words. Show me some actions and I'll pay much more attention than to anyone's mere words.

These buffoons traipsing around in the woods, acting like "soldiers" are probably not ever going to be a practical and formidable fighting force.  "Probably" is the key word here.

It's possible that IF the SHTF, and these pseudo-soldiers are organized, prepared, and mustered enough when it happens (if it happens), they MIGHT cause enough of a delay in the progression of the hostile forces to allow some of the civilian victims of the "take-over" more time to escape, or organize some kind of more permanent resistance. 

Beyond that, all I see is a psychological factor that the hostile government entities who will be perpetrating the "take-over" will have to deal with somehow. 

Having said that, I'll also say that anyone familiar with "Psy-Ops" in history will also know that psychological factors DO matter, and ARE effective to some degree.

These active "militias" make the degree of difficulty palpably higher for the hostile government forces who will be engaging us civilians when the time comes.  Hopefully, the hostile G forces will do a "cost to benefit" analysis and decide it to be too "costly" for them.  Hopefully.

Right now, I'll be thankful for even a delay in the EOTWAWKT, as I'm very fond of my Flexsteel rocker/recliner these days...and food prepared on the kitchen stove...and shooting at targets that don't shoot back. 

Ok...I've stood on this soapbox long enough today!  Cheers!
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 02:30:30 PM »
And, good soapbox standing it was!  Commendable, very commendable of you old chap!

It is obvious that quite a few organizations (within and without our government) look upon members of a "militia" in the negative. As Michael Moore put it, "If the guy out in the woods with the Michigan Militia is a real estate negotiator, instead of some crackpot, and has a normal life, that's unnerving. You don't want to think it's as normal as the guy next door, hedging his lawn. It's easier to demonize or separate them off from 'us'."

"The fundamental law of the militia is, that it be created, directed and commanded by the laws, and ever for the support of the laws." - John Adams.  That statement is more than I could ever say about many agencies and people who operated above the law at any time past, or operate above the law in any time present, and have felt, and do feel, superior in doing so.