Author Topic: Springfield XDM 4.5 Update  (Read 499 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Springfield XDM 4.5 Update
« on: October 26, 2016, 09:58:52 AM »
I have posted the following update to the Springfield XDM 4.5 review. Is this an issue" I don't really know yet. Please read further.

Springfield XDM 4.5 Update Guide Rod Wear
  [attach=1]

When I was cleaning the XDM 4.5, I noticed some scarring on the guide rod (see accompanying image). The scarring definitely seems to be caused by the recoil spring.

In the picture, the scarring seems to be normal surface wear of the recoil spring rubbing against the guide rod. However, if I scrape a finger nail across the scarring, I can feel some very fine roughness.  After running the XDM 5.25 I compared the two guide rods; there was no scarring of the guide rod on the 5.25 guide rod. However, time reveals all and normal and abnormal wear will reveal itself.

I thought at first to contact Springfield, but I decided to try and troubleshoot the issue myself first.  I ordered a solid stainless steel guide from Wolff Springs along with a companion #18 (the standard spring rate for the .45ACP version of the pistol) recoil spring.  If the issue persists after the swap-out, then I'll contact Springfield.

Amateurs study tactics. Professionals study logistics.