Author Topic: Holsters: Information You Need  (Read 1304 times)

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Holsters: Information You Need
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:14:11 PM »
You will find a long, useful essay that tells all about holsters, including materials, care, and design considerations, by clicking on: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/09/25/holsters/
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Holsters: Information You Need
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:12:08 AM »
Excellent essay, Steve!

When I attended the BBG course with CR, I took two holsters with me; my EDC IWB hybrid holster and an OWB holster for the Ruger SR1911CMD-A.  At the time, the Ruger and the OWB holster remained, for the most part, untested.

The IWB hybrid holster had been worn for quite some time and had been "personalized" for my carry style (cant, ride height, and sweat shield removed. I had no doubt that it is worthy of carrying.  The OWB holster, an excellent holster made by a local master leather smith, needed to be tested and was the prime selection for the training.  The holster passed with flying colors and was carried throughout the weekend of training and also outside of training.

I agree that the selection of a quality holster is as important as the firearm that it holds.  I finally found an IWB hybrid holster that holds (no pun intended) up to daily use.  One aspect of the holster is complete muzzle protection.  There are IWB hybrid holster on the market that simply serve as a "placeholder" for the firearm, and they are made by very popular manufacturers, but which I have discounted for use unless I absolutely had to. The short of this is not to buy a holster simply by brand, but by the quality of materials and manufacturing of the product.

Revolver holsters, I feel, is the most challenging of selections.  The cylinder of the revolver being the hardest to holster because of the shape of the cylinder and also the leading edge of the cylinder.  The holster must be shaped correctly to allow easy insertion of the revolver into the lip of the holster yet hold the cylinder firmly in place once the revolver is fully seated in the holster.

Hybrid IWB holsters for the most part, and in my opinion, seem to be the best solution for secure IWB carry - especially for pistols.  I also endorse two-point mounting to ensure that the holster remains in the desired position regardless of the body position (hip or appendix). I do not endorse plastic mounting clips, whether over or under the belt.

Articles, like yours, help the inexperienced and also the experienced "gun toter" in selecting a proper holster for their carry firearm.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:04:15 PM by Taurian »
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
Thank you for your kind words.
We endeavour to please, sir.
Steve,

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:43:41 PM »
I haven't read the entire article about holsters.

Procrastination is one of my 3 or 4 worst attributes for sure.

I have a 2 point hybrid IWB and a single point hybrid IWB.  They both have their good and not so good points.

One thing I do like about the single point hybrid IWB is that during days of changing temps (colder in morning-danged hot in afternoon), and greater activities, I can move the single point more freely from the 5 o'clock to the 1 or 2 o'clock position when necessary.

I'll be back...

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:59:40 AM »

I have a 2 point hybrid IWB and a single point hybrid IWB.  They both have their good and not so good points.

One thing I do like about the single point hybrid IWB is that during days of changing temps (colder in morning-danged hot in afternoon), and greater activities, I can move the single point more freely from the 5 o'clock to the 1 or 2 o'clock position when necessary.

I'll be back...

Like oldranger53, I  procrastinate as well,and haven't read the entire article, but I do use a IWB, but would like to find a OWB that will hold the firearm close to the body, the ones I have found just stick out to far for proper concealment
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 07:56:26 AM »

I'll be back...

Like oldranger53, I  procrastinate as well,and haven't read the entire article, but I do use a IWB, but would like to find a OWB that will hold the firearm close to the body, the ones I have found just stick out to far for proper concealment
You may want to look into a "pancake" style of holster; low profile, two-point mounting, and excellent retention. For OWB and when worn outside of clothing, I prefer a thumb-break for security reasons, but that is a personal decision. If I am carrying OWB, but inside of clothing (still concealed), the thumb-break is optional. To me, as long as the holster is tight against my body, I have some degree of retention and security for the firearm.

Good luck in your search.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:33:23 PM »
Right this very minute I am carrying my Colt's Pocket Hammerless .380 in a very nice, small "pancake" holster, at about 3:30.
Since the holster is flat, and close to my body, it conceals very well indeed. However, it is not too close: I can easily and quickly establish a full firing grip, and my presentation is very quick also.

When (if?) I switch to the small .45, it will be either in a Mernickle sort-of pancake, very high ride, or a Mernickle high-ride paddle holster.
Both of them carry the gun in exactly the same place on my body, and at the same height, so there's no confusion about where to grab it when I need it.
Steve,