Author Topic: PARA-USA 14.45 Update  (Read 418 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
PARA-USA 14.45 Update
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:25:30 AM »
I found an issue with the PARA-USA 14.45 upon disassembling the pistol for cleaning. But, as it turns out, it may not be an issue and is just something (for now) to be aware of on my part, and which I added to the original review.

Supporting images provided in the review article: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/09/04/para-usa-expert-14-45-review/

Barrel Link Pin Issue

After I had taken the PARA-USA 14.45 to the range and returned home, it was not until the next day that I could get around to cleaning the pistol completely, although I had run a Bore-Snake through the barrel several times prior to leaving the range.

I had disassembled the pistol in the normal fashion for a 1911, but when I tried to remove the barrel from the slide there was some resistance. More of a slight binding actually, and which was not there prior to the range outing.  Was there a problem, Houston?

The binding would occur, it seemed, just as the Barrel Link lower lugs would enter the Recoil Spring Plug opening of the slide. I would have to physically push the barrel through the opening or pull the barrel through the opening. Push or pull, something was not right.

Even if the Barrel Link Pin had walked a bit during normal operation of the pistol, the frame would keep the Barrel Link Pin within the confines of the frame. However, and due to the restrictive space that the barrel travels through when removing the barrel from the slide, a slight binding occurred at the point where the Barrel Link Pin had protruded from the barrel’s Barrel Link support lugs. Note that the Barrel Link Pin would not fall out of the barrel; it had simply drifted a bit.

Using a brass punch sized to the Barrel Link Pin, a Wheeler Engineering Universal Bench Block, and a light hammer, I was able to easily center the Barrel Link Pin within the Barrel Link support lugs. In fact, two very light taps of the hammer did the job very easily.  Perhaps to easy, and that concerned me. But, was it a valid concern? Or, should I ask, is it a valid concern?

While I have experienced a “walking” Slide Stop on a 1911, this was the first time I had encountered a Barrel Link Pin that moved on a 1911 – and I have owned a few 1911s.

There are two answers that address a “walking” Barrel Link Pin issue:
  • Stake the Lower Lug at the Barrel Link Pin to prevent the Barrel Link Pin from drifting, or
  • Leave well enough alone
I decided to leave well enough alone.

Unless the Barrel Link Pin is worn to the point that the Barrel Link has a significant amount of lateral play at the Barrel Link Pin, everything should be fine.  The Barrel Link should rotate freely around the Barrel Link Pin and may even have some side-to-side and a slight amount of up and down play within the Lower Lugs. Now, I am not talking about a lot of play, just an ever-so-slight amount; the Barrel Link must move freely around the axis of the Barrel Link Pin and should be adequately lubricated to prevent excessive wear on both parts.  On the other hand, if the Barrel Link Pin is worn excessively, or if the Barrel Link is worn excessively, replacing the Barrel Link is an option and is something that should be undertaken by a qualified gun smith as the Barrel Link affects timing and barrel un-lock and lock-up, but that is a discussion for a different time.

As it is, the Barrel Link Pin has been centered in the Lower Lugs and functioning of the pistol is not affected; that is the main thing since this pistol is relatively new, not broken in yet, and only time and use will tell if the “walking” Barrel Link Pin is an issue worth rectifying. At this point, it is not an issue.

What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.