Author Topic: Crowded environment movement drill  (Read 851 times)

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Crowded environment movement drill
« on: August 24, 2016, 07:39:12 PM »
What I call a crowded environment can mean people milling about or a place with a lot of fixtures/furniture/architectural features you have to move around. This drill is designed to work your maintenance of Sul position (look it up if you don't know what I'm referring to) and facility with moving the gun in and out of Sul to address a target or targets as you move. It can be done dry or live.

You need several markers--barrels, cones, chairs on a range or a series of marks you make on the ground. Make them at least four or five feet apart for now and try to have at least four. For the first iteration, just put them in a straight line in front of a single target.

To run the drill stand behind the farthest point and assume the Sul position. Now pick a side and start walking or trotting or running (start with walking and work up as you feel facile with the movements) around and between each marker toward the target. As you clear to the outside where the target is in sight, push the gun out of Sul and present it to that target. As you start to move in between markers, pull the gun back into Sul to that you are not covering anything. Continue this weaving pattern with presentations until you have cleared the line of markers.

Even on the range do this dry at least a couple of times. Each marker represents a person or something you don't want to bump the gun on or project it around as you clear it.

After the dry rounds you can now go back to the starting point, get the gun loaded and eyes and ears on and start making noise. Start in Sul, step around the first marker, present and fire a single shot at the target. You can pause, you can do a kind of slowed-down step that's almost a complete pause or you can fire as you move as long as you get a shot to target and then pull the gun back into Sul in time to move between the next set of markers without covering them. Weave, fire, weave, fire until you reach the end of marker line.

Variants include setting the line at an angle in relation to the target, offsetting the markers so you're zigging and zagging more, and setting a goal of more than one shot in between markers. (If you do more than one shot be sure that you don't stop a long time. You are training to move as continuously as possible around the obstacles/people in your way. I would assign a small amount of max time you can stay "outside" and give yourself a ding or fail on the exercise if you exceed that. Get clear, get on target quickly, take the shot, go.)

That's it. Have a good time.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: Crowded environment movement drill
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:40:44 PM »
Ok.
Next time I have the range to myself...(and that happens about 8 out of 10 trips up there)...I'll do it!

<Stand Tall.  Speak the Truth.  Never Surrender.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 10:08:23 PM »
We used to do something like this, using maybe 10 silhouette targets. Each was on a separate stand, with three or four left plain, and the rest marked in some way as no-shoot.

The targets were scattered about on the square range, and the shooter had to walk among them, quickly "killing" the shoot targets while leaving the no-shoots unmarked.
Of course, in some cases shooting a permissible target could also put a bullet through a no-shoot. You had to be aware of the angles and the lines-of-sight.

Then the targets would be rearranged, and each participant ran the scenario again. We ran through this three times, at least.
Even if you were involved in the set-up, the exercise was still a challenge. While you walked around, unexpected angles and alignments were creating themselves to be-devil you.

Only one backstop is really necessary, if the range is well controlled. Side berms reduce the need for control somewhat.
Generally, an official very closely followed each participant, ready to stop a dangerously-placed shot from being fired.
But this exercise could easily be done by one person, without any control.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 05:05:34 AM »
This is an exercise in muzzle-direction control and gun manipulation/movement more than shooting. Facility with this type of movement with the gun becomes important in any shooting event that takes place with other people in the area--sports venues, crowded malls or stores, performances of all kinds--where you may have to engage a shooter at any moment. Better, yes, to keep the gun in the holster when moving in this situation but if the gun has already come out or the possible need for engagement quickness over-rides weapon-security concerns this small skill-set comes into its own.

For this exercise you must go to a good Sul position. Low ready is a fail as it covers the 'people' you're moving around. Sul or other protected position where the gun is almost straight down is what you're wanting.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, Richard.
I was going off in the wrong direction.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."