Author Topic: New Article at the Blog Site!  (Read 1505 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
New Article at the Blog Site!
« on: July 24, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
I just recently posted an article regarding "rifling" that might interest you.

The article, "Roll Out The Barrel" can be read at http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/07/24/roll-out-the-barrel/

I hope that you find it useful.

As usual, comments are welcomed!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:09:36 PM by Taurian »
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: New Ariticle at the Blog SIte!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 01:49:45 PM »
Nicely laid out. Easy to understand.

Missing Part: the "Lasting Impression" to which you referred. Another, separate essay?
Also, one picture caption was incorrectly formatted.

Interesting Side-Note: Some rifles using "ladder" sights (e.g., the Krag) featured sight "ladders" which increased their windage offsets as their sights were raised to a longer-distance mark, to accommodate spin-drift.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
Nicely laid out. Easy to understand.

Missing Part: the "Lasting Impression" to which you referred. Another, separate essay?
Also, one picture caption was incorrectly formatted.

Interesting Side-Note: Some rifles using "ladder" sights (e.g., the Krag) featured sight "ladders" which increased their windage offsets as their sights were raised to a longer-distance mark, to accommodate spin-drift.

I'll check on that "Lasting Impression" issue; I changed some headings and may not have changed the reference.

I'll also check on the image formatting; I needed to resize some of the images and may have missed one - if you are talking about image size.

I remember those "ladder" sights. Didn't they use them on the '03 Springfield?
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 02:50:47 PM »
I made some edits to the article that will clean things up a bit.

Thanks for catching those issues. I'm tired today.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
...I remember those "ladder" sights. Didn't they use them on the '03 Springfield?

While I know that the ladder sight with increasing offset was used on one or more iterations of the the Krag, I don't remember whether the same was true of the '03 ladder sight.
An increasing-offset ladder sight was also used on the SMLE, including the #4, and the P14. Dunno 'bout no M1917, though, Miz Scarlett.

I suggest a rocking chair, something minty to drink, and a good book.
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 04:25:09 PM »
Broke the rocking chair, read the mint, and ate the book. The mint said, "DO NOT EAT THE BIG WHITE MINT"

I added a feature in the article, and will use it in future articles, as needed. I had to really dig in the anals (sic) of my memory for this one.

I can now provide definitions for terms in a hover box.  The term displays as underlined and italicized text. When you place the cursor over the term, a question mark appears and the definition for the term displays in a text box.

Place the cursor off the term and the definition disappears.

The action is similar to the "tool tip" that displays if you hover the cursor over a button in a word processor or HTML editor like the one we are using. For example, when you are composing a post and hover over any of the editing button (including a smiley), a "tool Tip" displays that informs you what that tool (or smiley) represents.

In the article, place the cursor over the first occurrence of the term button or broach in the text (just after the caliber twist listing) and a definition for the term displays. This saves me time in editing and creating a separate link or parenthetical definition.  Simply a carry-over from my "professional" days.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: New Article at the Blog Site!
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
Waaay cool!
Steve,