Author Topic: Police: Approximately 20 killed in Florida club shooting  (Read 1641 times)

flyover

Police: Approximately 20 killed in Florida club shooting
« on: June 12, 2016, 07:09:46 AM »
And once again legal gun owner and the NRA will be blamed.

www.yahoo.com/news/orlando-police-multiple-injuries-nightclub-shooting-082553236.html

Police: Approximately 20 killed in Florida club shooting
MIKE SCHNEIDER, Associated Press

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) A gunman wielding an assault-type rifle and a handgun opened fire inside a crowded Florida nightclub before dying in a gunfight with SWAT officers, police said Sunday. The attack left about 20 people dead and 42 others wounded.

Authorities were investigating it as an act of terrorism.

Police Chief John Mina said the shooter also had some sort of "suspicious device." He said the suspect exchanged gunfire with an officer working at the gay club around 2 a.m., then went back inside and took hostages among more than 300 people inside.

Around 5 a.m., authorities sent in a SWAT team to rescue the hostages. Police have not determined an exact number of casualties, but Mina said "approximately 20" bodies were inside the club.

Authorities were looking into whether the attack was an act of domestic or international terror, and if the shooter was a lone wolf, according to Danny Banks, an agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

"This is an incident, as I see it, that we certainly classify as domestic terror incident," Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said.

FBI agent Ron Hopper said there was no further threat to Orlando or the surrounding area.

When asked if the gunman had a connection to radical Islamic terrorism, Hopper said authorities "have suggestions that individual has leanings towards that."

Police had said previously on Twitter that there was a "controlled explosion" at the scene of the shooting at Pulse Orlando, a dance club. Mina said that noise was caused by a device intended to distract the shooter.

Mina Justice was outside the club early Sunday trying to contact her 30-year-old son, Eddie, who texted her when the shooting happened and asked her to call police. He told her he ran into a bathroom with other club patrons to hide. He then texted her: "He's coming."

"The next text said: 'He has us, and he's in here with us,'" she said. "That was the last conversation."

Dozens of police vehicles swarmed the area around the club. At least two police pickup trucks were seen taking what appeared to be shooting victims to the Orlando Regional Medical Center.

Pulse Orlando posted on its own Facebook page around 2 a.m.: "Everyone get out of pulse and keep running." Just before 6 a.m., the club posted an update: "As soon as we have any information, we will update everyone. Please keep everyone in your prayers as we work through this tragic event. Thank you for your thoughts and love."

Police said local, state and federal agencies were investigating.

The attack follows the fatal shooting late Friday of 22-year-old singer Christina Grimmie, who was killed after her concert in Orlando by a 27-year-old Florida man who later killed himself. Grimmie was a YouTube sensation and former contestant on "The Voice."

Jon Alamo said he was at the back of one of the club's rooms when a man holding a weapon came into the front of the room.

"I heard 20, 40, 50 shots," Alamo said. "The music stopped."

Club-goer Rob Rick said the shooting started just before closing time.

"Everybody was drinking their last sip," he said.

He estimated more than 100 people were still inside when he heard shots, got on the ground and crawled toward a DJ booth. A bouncer knocked down a partition between the club area and an area in the back where only workers are allowed. People inside were able to then escape through the back of the club.

Christopher Hansen said he was in the VIP lounge when he heard gunshots. He continued to hear shooting even after he emerged, where police were telling people to back away from the club. He saw injured people being tended to across the street.

"I was thinking, 'Are you kidding me?' So I just dropped down. I just said, 'Please, please, please, I want to make it out,'" he said. "And when I did, I saw people shot. I saw blood. You hope and pray you don't get shot."

___

This story has been corrected to show that Banks is with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, not the FBI.

flyover

Re: Police: Approximately 20 killed in Florida club shooting
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:57:39 AM »
Updated reports now saying at least 50 dead.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »
To those saying it  (Jihad) will never happen here, and keep their heads in the sand, what say ye now!!!

Well, let's see! A religious faction is allowed in the US that is known not just for its violence against infidels, but adamantly against homosexual behavior (unless they themselves are performing it), and then you promote Homosexual and trans-sexual behavior?  Guess what? The two met ... and the outcome was not good.

Of course, the anti-gunners are going to have a ball with this, as will the LBGT folks.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

flyover

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 08:20:18 AM »

Of course, the anti-gunners are going to have a ball with this, as will the LBGT folks.

Unfortunately true.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 09:41:25 AM »
It may be the deadliest mass shooting in American History - according to Newsmax:

The FBI said it was still trying to pin down whether the mass shooting was a hate crime against gays or a terrorist act.

The FBI said it was still trying to pin down whether the mass shooting was a hate crime against gays or a terrorist act.

In Hillary's words, "Does it really matter at this point!"  It was; however, against American citizens, and yes, that matters!!

It has come out that the shooter was an American citizen, was legally licensed to carry, and held a position  as a security officer.  Allegedly, this snowflake got his feelings hurt seeing two gay men kissing and decided to go on a personal jihad to serve his hurt feelings.

http://www.newsmax.com/?ns_mail_uid=32344434&ns_mail_job=1672686_06122016&s=al&dkt_nbr=rxrtc2kw

When are we going to accept that Islam has a violence problem?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYyrPHg_ag0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYyrPHg_ag0</a>
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:04 AM »
Well, aside from the obvious travesty this guy committed, I'd like to know how he was able to kill so many before someone stopped him!???

He must have wounded more than were actually killed.

That was a LOT of shooting.  He must have reloaded many times.  He must have fired more rounds than what hit intended targets (missed).
Was this guy an operative disguised as a "regular joe?"

I'm thinking he was a trained "expert" in his craft, hence the high body count.

I'll be interested to see if that is discovered (and actually revealed) about him.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

flyover

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 11:44:02 AM »
He was reportedly working for a security firm. Sounded like he had training and had an "extensive" background check made on him. It will be interesting to find out where he appropriated the firearms.

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 05:45:04 AM »
Well, aside from the obvious travesty this guy committed, I'd like to know how he was able to kill so many before someone stopped him!???

An area crowded with people who did not have a counteroffensive mindset got him a shooting gallery. Reports are that people were texting others about the shooting from inside while it was underway.

Shooter declared himself an ISIS follower and they have taken responsibility for the attack.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2016, 07:11:54 AM »
But, but we are the problem! You didn't know that?

http://nypost.com/2016/06/12/obama-says-we-are-to-blame-not-islamic-terrorism-for-orlando-massacre/

True to form, the president spoke more words about the scourge of guns than about the threat of terror. In doing so, he actually retards rather than advances the cause of gun control he so passionately advocates.

A president totally and credibly committed to the destruction of ISIS and other terror groups seeking to bring the war to us might earn the political and moral capital to seek more extensive limits on gun ownership.

A president who cannot name the enemy even as he anthropomorphizes the weapon the enemy uses is a president unable to bring anyone to his side whos not already there.

To fight back against the evils of San Bernardino and Orlando, we do need change and fortunately for us, its constitutionally mandated change. Its the change required by the 22nd Amendment the change that will compel Barack Obama to leave the White House on Jan. 20, 2017, after completing his second term with America less safe than it was when he took office.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »
Yeah...that would be a "fish in a barrel" scenario for sure.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2016, 09:51:12 AM »
Hours after the attack, ISIS officially claimed credit for the horrific attack.  The FBI had interviewed the terrorist, Omar Mateen, twice already - once in 2013 and again in 2014.

And yet, despite this reminder of the constant threat from radical Islamic terrorists, Democrats reacted by calling for more penalties and restrictions on law-abiding Americans.

Hillary Clinton and Democrat Senator after Democrat Senator have come out today to declare the need for gun control and gun confiscation to address the threat of radical Islamic terrorism.  These liberals won't even name the culprit by name - radical Islamic terrorists - but they *will* call for law-abiding Americans to have their constitutional rights stripped away.

It is absolutely insane that we live in a society where we allow political correctness to cause 80-year old grandmothers to be searched and frisked at airport security gates, but we turn the other way when young Islamic men profess support for terrorist groups, so as not to appear intolerant.

Innocent people are dying because of our political correctness, and the solution is not to take away the 2nd Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens, and yet this is exactly what Democrats in the U.S. Senate are proposing right now.

Source: ???

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »
The Orlando shooting was "a further reminder of how easy it is for someone to get their hands on a weapon that lets them shoot people in a school, or a house of worship, or a movie theater, or a nightclub," Obama said on Sunday.

Sorry, firearms are not enablers - as in to make possible, practical, or easy; "Safe Zones" are, however the perfect enablers that provides the venue for which a person bent on destruction, regardless of weapon, can carry out his or her deathly wishes.

As usual, the administration works on the wrong problem.

flyover

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:05 AM »
But, but we are the problem! You didn't know that?

http://nypost.com/2016/06/12/obama-says-we-are-to-blame-not-islamic-terrorism-for-orlando-massacre/

True to form, the president spoke more words about the scourge of guns than about the threat of terror. In doing so, he actually retards rather than advances the cause of gun control he so passionately advocates.

A president totally and credibly committed to the destruction of ISIS and other terror groups seeking to bring the war to us might earn the political and moral capital to seek more extensive limits on gun ownership.

A president who cannot name the enemy even as he anthropomorphizes the weapon the enemy uses is a president unable to bring anyone to his side whos not already there.

To fight back against the evils of San Bernardino and Orlando, we do need change and fortunately for us, its constitutionally mandated change. Its the change required by the 22nd Amendment the change that will compel Barack Obama to leave the White House on Jan. 20, 2017, after completing his second term with America less safe than it was when he took office.

I quit listening to Obama a long time ago. It is gun owners fault, it is Bush's fault, it is the Republicans fault and on and on.

Unrespectively, MR President, take a good look in the mirror!

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:16:23 AM »
Confirmed: Orlando Cops Told to Stand Down Not to Pursue Shooter for 15-20 Minutes

Source: http://www.dcclothesline.com/2016/06/24/confirmed-orlando-cops-told-to-stand-down-not-to-pursue-shooter-for-15-20-minutes/