Author Topic: Stupidity at Yellowstone  (Read 1716 times)

flyover

Stupidity at Yellowstone
« on: May 17, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
Nobody showed a lot of smarts in this situation. The "Disney Effect" strikes again.

www.yahoo.com/news/baby-bison-euthanized-yellowstone-tourists-194130885.html

Baby Bison Euthanized After Yellowstone Tourists Loaded It Into Truck
Mathew Katz,Time 18 hours ago

Yellowstone National Park officials were forced to euthanize a baby bison after a pair of tourists loaded it into the trunk of their truck over fears it was too cold.

The newborn calf was rejected by its mother after the May 9 incident, because of “interference by people,” the park said in a statement Monday.

“Park rangers tried repeatedly to reunite the newborn bison calf with the herd. These efforts failed,” officials said. “The bison calf was later euthanized because it was abandoned and causing a dangerous situation by continually approaching people and cars along the roadway.”

Despite a relatively moderate low of 39 degrees Fahrenheit, the father and son decided the baby bison looked cold, hauled it into their Toyota Sequoia, and drove it to a nearby ranger station, according to the Washington Post. The pair demanded the rangers help the animal, according to the East Idaho News.

Park officials said the two were cited for the incident, but did not provide details about the penalty.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: Stupidity at Yellowstone
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
A sad story in several ways.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 01:02:10 PM »
A Better Resolution:
"OK, folks. You took the little fella away from his mom. Now you gotta take him home and raise him. We'll be out to pick him up in about five years."
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 09:18:59 PM »
"Disney Effect" . . . . Nice choice of words . . . . .
Sums it up very well
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 12:11:36 AM »
The mean IQ is NOT increasing with the population.

Every generation gets weaker and dumber.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
Bison burgers! Yummm!
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »
Have to agree with the non-growing populous of IQ in our youth, oh! How I fear for the future of this country
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 11:52:19 AM »
Have to agree with the non-growing populous of IQ in our youth, oh! How I fear for the future of this country
By definition, intelligence is the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations.  With zero-tolerance policies, intelligence cannot be exercised.  Intelligence is gained through the transfer of knowledge.  Knowledge based on tolerance policies is not true knowledge, because it inhibits critical thinking and reasoning.  Our youth are "rote" thinkers, which requires very little (if any) knowledge and/or mental gymnastics.  Not surprisingly, there are many with very high IQs (MENSA material) that are rote thinkers.   These are "critics" and not necessarily "critical thinkers."  "I say it is; therefore, it must be" is the thought of a controller and not that of an educator.

I cannot affix whole blame on the youth with low IQs for what is to come. I can; however, totally blame those who came before them.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
Along those same lines I had to add this link.
Please do not click on and read this link if you are currently drinking a liquid beverage.

I have posted two links but there are plenty more that are telling about this one:

http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2016/05/colorado_kindergartner_suspend.html
http://freebeacon.com/culture/5-year-old-suspended-carrying-bubble-gun-school/

Even the Huffington Post covered this one:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kindergartener-bubble-gun-suspension_us_573c9518e4b0646cbeebb18a
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2016, 06:47:09 PM »
Haven't heard about the 5 yo with the bubble gum, what the heck was she thinking? Someone could have been bubbled beyond belief! Only a 1 day suspension,  lenient don't you think
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

pstan13

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

pstan13

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:00:01 PM »
...And up here in the Great North-Wet, last week, a couple of fools "rescued" a day-old fawn, and brought it to the nearby ranger station.
The fawn was lucky, because our county has a well-staffed, volunteer wild-animal-rescue system. The fawn will be raised with hands-off care, and released into the wild in about a year and a half.

City idiots!
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:06:32 PM »
Some city-raised critters don't have enough sense to leave well enough alone. It seems that some country-folk don't either.  It must be that brain damage caused by using cell phones that has been talked about. Whoops! Excuse me...I have an incoming call!