Author Topic: Uberti 1873 Cattleman II “Old West” Revolver  (Read 2651 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Uberti 1873 Cattleman II “Old West” Revolver
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:09:51 AM »
If you love the smell of gun metal and oil early in the morning, and you like the guns of the old west, give a read of the Uberti 1873 Cattleman II “Old West” Revolver review, pardner!

Note: The review contains an animation that I created regarding the new Uberti firing pin safety!

Uberti 1873 Cattleman II “Old West” Revolver: http://guntoters.com/blog/2016/04/05/uberti-1873-cattleman-ii-old-west-revolver/

As always, comments are welcomed!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:40:36 AM by Taurian »
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Uberti 1873 Cattleman II “Old West” Revolver
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 04:08:04 PM »
Nicely done piece!
The animation is admirable.

I have one minor complaint: The animation goes by too quickly to allow me to both read the text and observe the action. The first pass was confusing; so I had to let it run about four times, in order to read all of each piece of text. Then it ran twice more so I could understand the actions of the parts.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 04:53:07 PM »
Nicely done piece!
The animation is admirable.

I have one minor complaint: The animation goes by too quickly to allow me to both read the text and observe the action. The first pass was confusing; so I had to let it run about four times, in order to read all of each piece of text. Then it ran twice more so I could understand the actions of the parts.

I can slow it down some.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
Heck! . . . . All it did for me was make me want to buy one.
Which I may well do as the price is certainly enticing.

The pictures are well done. Were you the photographer also?
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 05:06:56 PM »
I slowed the animation down a bit, which makes it easier to read.  The animation is continuous; if you miss a frame the first time it will be back around.

I have to do my own photo work.  The illustrations for the animation were compliments of Uberti and I simply added text to them. The animation is my work.  I can also create my own artwork, but it usually takes breaking out the CAD program and a few other programs to make it all work - very time consuming and I don't get paid by the hour anymore.  ;D

It was more out of curiosity to see if an animation would work in a blog and I may find some more uses for it in future blogs.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:00:18 PM »
I slowed the animation down a bit, which makes it easier to read...

...And now it's much mo'bettah! Thanks!
Steve,

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 04:27:18 AM »
Heck! . . . . All it did for me was make me want to buy one.
Which I may well do as the price is certainly enticing.

The pictures are well done. Were you the photographer also?

Same here, Taurian has a great way to make us want to go out and spend some greenbacks for another fine tool
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 09:07:23 AM »
It made a couple of folks at the range drool a bit also. One fellow who likes "Old West" firearms said that he was going to try to place an order for one tomorrow.  At first, he thought that it was an original Colt 1973 SAA.  I guess that Uberti is doing a good job.

I ran another fifty rounds through it this morning, primarily to see if the cylinder base pin screw was going to be an issue (I had used blue thread locker on it, just in case). There were absolutely no issues with the gun - the shooter; however is a different story.  The gun shoots POA and is quite accurate when shot with both hands holding the grip. I was able to keep all rounds in the center and in the 9-ring firing one-handed.  That front sight is really narrow, as is the rear notch and keeping the two together is a real challenge.  With that said, this is not a target revolver and it is not forgiving if your grip is too loose. Muzzle flip is substantial when firing one-handed.  With both hand on the handle; however, muzzle flip is no worse than my 1911.  I'm impressed by it and will be putting an order in for the "Old West" with the original 7 1/2-inch barreled version next week (the 7 1/2" Calvary model was the original issue to the U.S. Army in 1873) because it was what I originally wanted.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 11:57:59 AM »
I'm tempted to get one, too...
But inside my head I always hear, "So many guns to try, so little time left in which to do it."
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
I'm tempted to get one, too...
But inside my head I always hear, "So many guns to try, so little time left in which to do it."

William Wallace (paraphrased, of course): "Aye, buy and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our anti-gun enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR UBERTI 1873 SAA OLD WEST REVOLVERS!"

[Scottish army cheers]  ;D

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »
...What I wanted to write, but I couldn't exactly remember the original of at the time, was:
(with apologies to Andrew Marvell)
But at my back I always hear
Time's wingèd chariot hurrying near...
Turning into ash gun-testing lust
As both my body and guns rust.
The grave's a fine and comfy place,
But without room for Crimson Trace.
Steve,

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 03:12:16 PM »
+1 :)

NorCalChuck

• Redwood Practical Shooters
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2016, 06:07:59 PM »
Of course the muzzle flip is strong . . . .
Haven't you ever seem those old westerns?
You have to throw it a bit to cock it . . . . So it does half the work for you.
Unless you have a strong thump.

TEE-HEE
"We will have a good government as long as those that govern are effected by those laws that they pass. When those that are passing the laws are no longer effected by those laws then they will no longer pass good laws."