Author Topic: Grocery Shopping  (Read 1186 times)

pop pop

Grocery Shopping
« on: March 07, 2016, 09:01:47 AM »

Had a neighbor (28ish) go to our local Kroger grocery store a couple nights ago. She went at 9:00 PM and finished her shopping and 3 young guys (20ish) followed her out of the store, as she walked toward her car in the parking lot. She noticed 1 went toward his van, one followed behind her and the other went into the parking isle opposite her. She had her son and 2 other children in her car and the son had loud music playing.

She said she felt uneasy and started walking faster toward her ride. The guy behind her said something as he was closing the distance. She couldnít hear but finally understood, he asked her if she wanted to party, all the while getting closer. The guy in the opposite isle was closing also.  She told him she was married, 5 months pregnant, and was not interested. He laughed out loud, and said that is all the better, but picked up his pace. 

By this time, she had reached her car, opened the door, leaving the groceries in the cart, locked the door, then dialed 911, but when she picked up her phone the guys split.

I donít go to grocery stores, buy gas, or do much of anything, after dark any more, unless it is an emergency. I donít even like to travel at night.

This must have not been the first instance of wrong doings, as I noticed they have a security guard walking the parking lot, late afternoon, and I assume at night. He has been there all winter. This incident kinda explains his presence.  Of course he is unarmed.

I have also noticed the clientele has really changed in that store also. It is in a good suburban neighborhood and has been completely safe for years. They have recently built a lot of apartments close by. I almost bet that the apartments are subsidized living areas, judging from the store clientele as of late. 

The hoodlums come out to play after dark, and sometimes before!  Watch your 6!

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
Re: Grocery Shopping
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:29:56 PM »
Time to move elsewhere?

About 50 years ago, when I left New York, the city and state were just completing huge "mixed income" housing developments. The idea, I guess, was that the better sort of tenants would "inform" (set a better example for) the lower-income and dole-sucking tenants, thereby "levelling the playing field."

I suppose that the eventual outcome was predictable...by everyone except the city and the state: Very soon, the better-off tenants had all moved out and gone elsewhere, and all that remain are the dole-suckers.
They deal drugs in the hallways and urinate in the stairwells. The elevators don't work. Lights are out everywhere.
In Chicago, the only solution to the problem was to raze the whole project to the ground, and to start all over again. But that hasn't worked either, because the city still insisted upon subsidizing low-wage-earners' rents in the rebuilt projects.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, prśparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 04:27:05 PM »
At least she had awareness working for her. Of course, awareness counts for little if there is no means to protect yourself.  I'm glad that she made it to her vehicle and got out of there (hopefully she was able to get her groceries).

My wifey has a habit of shopping at night.  A practice that I hope that she will stop, but she still persists on it.  She has gotten in several faces during her travels and backed them down. She is not one to take guff from anyone. Still, there are those out there who are badder and madder and its only a matter of time till paths cross and it ain't going to be pretty.

Like pop pop, I restrict my travel to the daylight hours as much as possible. I also do so well-armed. I'm getting too old for much stuff anymore. As the old saying goes, "I'm not a good as I once was, but I am as good once as I will ever be."

Personally, I am growing weary of these retarded social miscreants thinking that they own the world. I always get warm fuzzies when one or more of them get "owned" and their poor, pathetic world gets rocked.
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 08:07:15 AM »
Time to move elsewhere?

About 50 years ago, when I left New York, the city and state were just completing huge "mixed income" housing developments. The idea, I guess, was that the better sort of tenants would "inform" (set a better example for) the lower-income and dole-sucking tenants, thereby "levelling the playing field."

I suppose that the eventual outcome was predictable...by everyone except the city and the state: Very soon, the better-off tenants had all moved out and gone elsewhere, and all that remain are the dole-suckers.
They deal drugs in the hallways and urinate in the stairwells. The elevators don't work. Lights are out everywhere.
In Chicago, the only solution to the problem was to raze the whole project to the ground, and to start all over again. But that hasn't worked either, because the city still insisted upon subsidizing low-wage-earners' rents in the rebuilt projects.
It's like that in Butte, Montana too.

The pencil pushers and seat shiners can't understand why character, morals, and general "goodness" doesn't just "rub off".

It's complicated and simple at the same time, but way too late to reverse the trend, I believe.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.