Author Topic: 75 rounds of ammunition found underneath house, nearby homes evacuated  (Read 1244 times)

pstan13

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes."
-- Thomas Jefferson

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Ok.

I guess this doesn't surprise me too much.

A couple of guys around here recently discovered a box of old dynamite inside a barn they were dismantling for the wood.

They called the authorities about it  (probably a good idea, as the sticks were "sweating") for proper disposal. The "twist" in the plot is that it tool the ATF guy(s) from Helena about a week to get down here and fetch the stuff.
Meanwhile, the dismantling project went "on hold" until the box of boom was safely removed.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

EDITED : changed "bard" to "barn"
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:47:41 PM by oldranger53 »
Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
The scare, and the evacuation of nearby people, was way overkill, and maybe even very purposeful fear-mongering by hoplophobic authorities.
Ordinary rifle, shotgun, and pistol ammunition will not explode destructively, unless perhaps in a fire.
Certainly, 75 rounds would have little explosive effect in any case.

Old smokeless powder will deteriorate, but that is as likely to cause a fizzle as it is to cause a very small detonation, if outside of a gun.
Old brass will corrode, and even crumble, but that would only reduce gas pressure in a cartridge that went off outside of a gun.
Old black powder in a crumbling brass case will have already "defused" itself. Once moisture gets in, black powder loses its explosive power very quickly.

The most dangerous component is the primer. But there is so little priming compound in each one, that, individually, in an unfired case, they are not much of a threat.
Besides, if moisture has attacked the cartridges, moisture has also disabled their primers.

The whole thing was hoplophobic overkill.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

pop pop

The Bomb Squad needed some practice. 

Taurian

• Global Moderator
The whole thing was hoplophobic overkill.

Very true! However, you never let a crisis go to waste - even when you manufacture the crisis.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.