Author Topic: Just a little rant  (Read 2681 times)

flyover

Just a little rant
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
I was lurking over at another site that deals primarily with cast bullets. The subject was of how Dillon's and a few other's progressive reloaders would not drop stick type propellants with out bridging. Come to find out most all of the cartridges were smaller than 30 caliber. Not one of these fine folks bothered to mention that Dillon and I don't know about the others do not recommend stick powders in cartridges under 30 caliber.  Doesn't anyone bother reading the manual that comes with these machines??
Sorry for the rant but really?    >:(

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
Re: Just a little rant
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 12:05:23 PM »
I was lurking over at another site that deals primarily with cast bullets. The subject was of how Dillon's and a few other's progressive reloaders would not drop stick type propellants with out bridging. Come to find out most all of the cartridges were smaller than 30 caliber. Not one of these fine folks bothered to mention that Dillon and I don't know about the others do not recommend stick powders in cartridges under 30 caliber.  Doesn't anyone bother reading the manual that comes with these machines??
Sorry for the rant but really?    >:(

When all else fails read the instructions!!!!
(if your still around to read them)
Time will tell.

flyover

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
It tends to help, does it not?

SARGeek

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 07:09:27 AM »
When dealing with explosives it might, just might, be a good idea to learn from those that have gone before you.

Just sayin'  ::)
SARGeek

Tadrian

• I've gotten a lotta miles outta stupid!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 07:46:51 AM »
Stupid is as stupid does...
Everyday I write the truth to who I am by what I do.
Life achieves its summit, when it does the uttermost what it was equipped to do.
It's always easier to shift the responsibility of one's existence, to lean on others rather than stand alone, but I refuse to place my destiny in another's hands.

mustang125

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:13:32 AM »
All you have to do is use the Dillon adaptor and use a powder measure made for those powders. It is not a big deal.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:17:19 AM »
All you have to do is use the Dillon adaptor and use a powder measure made for those powders. It is not a big deal.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Correct - but knowing what to do and how to do it, is a big deal.
that is why people call an expert to fix things..... knowledge is a wonderful thing.
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 05:58:37 PM »
Instructions are primarily written for experienced users. Writing for novices cost more.

Consider the instructions for an expert:
Procedure:
Step 1. Remove the bracket

Consider the instructions for a novice:
Procedure: Remove the bracket
  • Place a 10 millimeter, 12-point box-end wrench over the nut that secures the bracket. Hold the wrench firmly to prevent slippage.
  • Place a 10 millimeter, 12-point box-end wrench over the bolt head. Hold the wrench firmly to prevent slippage.
  • While holding the wrench firmly on the bolt head, place leverage on the wrench that is on the nut in a counter-clockwise direction. Note: It is better to pull the wrench toward you than away from you in case the wrench slips. Caution: Hold wrench away from face.
  • Once the nut is loose, remove the nut and lock washer by hand.
  • Hold the bracket in one hand and remove the bolt with the other hand.
  • Place the bracket, bolt, nut, and lock washer in a magnetic tray as they will be used in the assembly process.
Ball powder is best, followed by flattened ball, followed by flake, followed by stick.

Happy reloading!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

M1911A1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 11:51:32 PM »
After I'd retired from leathersmithing, I partnered in a very successful sheet-metal-fabrication design business. We designed and sold contract-made electronics enclosures, mostly to the government and its subsidiary suppliers.

During that career, I designed the case work for the very first, truly portable personal computer.
I also wrote the case-assembly instructions, which included disassembling an Apple II, a monitor, and two floppy drives, and fitting their working parts into the case I'd designed.

Taurian's assessment of writing technical instructions for both novices and the mentally dull is spot-on.
I can confidently say that designing the very complex computer case to hundredths-of-an-inch tolerances was the easy part. Writing the assembly instructions took much, much longer, and was a whole lot more difficult and intricately detailed.

And then, of course, once you've written them you find that nobody reads them anyway.
Steve,
retired leathersmith and practical shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 03:35:55 PM »
And then, of course, once you've written them you find that nobody reads them anyway.
- M1911A1

Amen, to that!

That's why I enjoy writing firearm and gear reviews - everybody reads them! ::)
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
- M1911A1

Amen, to that!

That's why I enjoy writing firearm and gear reviews - everybody reads them! ::)

Amen to that too!

Sent from phone.

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.