Author Topic: Recent Trip To Grocery Store  (Read 798 times)

pop pop

Recent Trip To Grocery Store
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:44:10 AM »
I went to our local Kroger Food Store the day before our big snowstorm we just had. This store is a large store. I went there and picked up a few things. All you guys know when bad weather is forecasted, here in the eastern U S, there is most always a run at the grocery store. Well, I was not disappointed, as the store was full of people and food. Got my stuff, checked out, and left.

A couple days later my wife asked me to stop and get a couple items, and I found the store shelves almost empty. I first thought the store was just being cheap, and not restocking the shelves, so I found a manager, with intentions to complain.

I did and He informed me that due to the snow storm, in Louisville Ky, their warehouse could not get any supplies in, and they could not get resupplied at this store in Mid TN. So that was the reason why they had very little stock on the shelves.

It was a total shock to see how this large store could be emptied in a 2 day time period. I mean they had no milk, juice, bread, eggs, and the can food isles were practically bare. It was a scary sight and sure got my attention. Even the toilet paper isle was empty.

I have not been a "preper" before, but I recently built my wife a large walk in pantry and we now try and keep a 3 month supply of food and drinking water in it. Sure gave me a good feeling to know we had the food there.

As a result of my experience, I have plans to add some more non perishable food and water to our pantry. Wish my wife had seen the store. May-be she would see the need for a stockpile of food and water.

It sure got my attention!

CR Williams

• In Shadow In Light
Re: Recent Trip To Grocery Store
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:22:19 AM »
Supply centers and supply routes are the key to stock maintenance. Whenever something like that is coming, it is useful to check and see if it is going to hit the ways in and the places the food is coming from as well as your own area.
Shikan haramitsu dai ko myo.

In Shadow In Light - Studying and advancing the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

flyover

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:47:00 AM »
In this day and age of "get it in overnight" people often forget to figure Mother Nature into their plans.
Out here in western Kansas the empty shelves in the grocery store is not uncommon, especially in the small town stores, when they predict a large winter storm. You will generally see it reflected mostly in the following items; milk, eggs, bottled water and bread.
My Mother always had a small pantry that was well stocked and I have tried to keep that tradition going. The only thing that I have not found is a powdered milk substitute that I can call drinkable.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 10:22:45 AM »
Three months is good. Six months is even better. Twelve months is superb.  Long-term storage items (30-year under proper care) that you can prepare meals from.  Canned goods; I had a can of chili yesterday that was from 2012 and it tasted just fine and the effects of chili with beans was just as devastating to the environment as it would have been in 2012.  Like ammunition, buy one for consumption and save one for storage.  Date all items for rotation purposes.

Take advantage of sales to buy in bulk.  Don't forget comfort food.

I bought the wifey an automotive vacuum pump like you find at harbor freight.  My wifey purchases items (dried beans, peas, macaroni, sugar, salt, etc.) transfers them into canning jars, seals them with vacuum and they are good for several years.  We also can anything that can be canned. Resources are local farmers and farmer's markets.

Dehydrated dairy products, or products with dehydrated dairy products do not store as long as products without them. For example. "creamy" dehydrated soups will not store as long as others like Chicken Noodle.

MREs are relatively short storage (5 to 7 years under ideal conditions), but a case of MREs can be a godsend in emergencies.

Dehydrate foods. We dehydrate anything that can be dehydrated, vacuum seal them in bags, and then freeze them.  Last week I was putting sliced "processed" strawberries in my morning oatmeal.  The berries were about a years old and, once hydrated, tasted just fine thank you.

Food buckets. I have a food bucket for each member of the family. Each bucket will feed 4 people for 72 hours. With one for each person, that time frame is extended.  These food buckets have a 30-year shelf life.

Treated, stored water - you can't have enough. 
What most 21st Century Americans simply do not grasp is that the Constitution and Bill of Rights were not written to to give rights to the citizens of our then-new nation, but was instead written to tightly constrain the federal government.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:09:26 PM »
Tangent to this discussion, we've had half an elk hanging, out in the shed for a while...a while.
There's not been a hurry to process it because of the freezing temps for the last few months.

I'm thinking maybe next week we'll get around to getting it cut into smaller pieces and into freezer bags and into a real freezer.

I been pretty sluggish about prepping.  We probably have about a month of non perishable food stashed, but that's about it for now.  Perhaps I'll get off my duff and do more pretty soon.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

jtg452

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 07:40:06 AM »
Grocery stores rarely carry more than 36-72 hours worth of stock.  The low end of that scale is for frozen and refrigerated goods, the upper end is for dry goods.  Perishables like bread are usually a daily delivery but may be every other.  Milk, too, may be every other day or daily- depending on volume of sales and the amount of storage in the back that's available.  The shelves won't be completely empty in 3 days but the high volume sales items will be long gone.

Slight disruptions in the logistics chain show just how close stores cut it.  It doesn't take much to cause local shortages.