Author Topic: they said they do not recommend people take matters into their own hands.  (Read 1193 times)

Robert Harvey

• Rharvey
  • Administrator
    • The computer guy
I guess they would rather the employee be dead instead of a crook???
http://www.nbc-2.com/story/30825095/restaurant-employee-shoots-kills-would-be-robber#.VnzVDcsS2M8

Rues says no one else was injured. She cautioned people against taking matters into their own hands.
Time will tell.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
Re: they said they do not recommend people take matters into their own hands.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 04:39:36 AM »
I have worked convenience stores in the past.  I always carried. It was not to protect the store; the crook could have anything he wanted and the store's insurance would cover the loss.  My "insurance" was more for preventing loss of life and limb - mine.

When you stop and think about it, how do you think this country was formed, it was because of citizens taking matters into their own hands.  No one has the right to tell me not to defend myself.

From the movie "Gran Torino" we have:

Father Janovich: Why didn't you call the police?
   Walt Kowalski: Well you know, I prayed for them to come but nobody answered.
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

crzyjarmans

• Fewer words carry a great weight than someone who never stops talking
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 05:04:41 AM »
I have worked convenience stores in the past.  I always carried. It was not to protect the store; the crook could have anything he wanted and the store's insurance would cover the loss.  My "insurance" was more for preventing loss of life and limb - mine.

When you stop and think about it, how do you think this country was formed, it was because of citizens taking matters into their own hands.  No one has the right to tell me not to defend myself.

From the movie "Gran Torino" we have:

Father Janovich: Why didn't you call the police?
   Walt Kowalski: Well you know, I prayed for them to come but nobody answered.

The same with me, as I have worked nights hear in Las Vegas, working in a convenience store, Clint Eastwood is one of my favorite actors, Grand Torino is a good movie
Shawn, Stay armed, Stay safe

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 05:39:40 PM »
"They" think that passively succumbing to aggression will have an effect like a wet blanket on a fire...putting it out.

Problem with that notion is that "free will", higher order conditioning, and plain old meanness do not follow the laws of physics, of the physical universe.

That "5th Dimension" of "spirit" has a palpable, though un-quantifiable, effect on the material world.

I'm pretty sure God will be really mad at me if I stand by and do nothing, while a predatory act is played out in front of me.

Tough call for sure.

Don't act and you're a coward.

Act, and you're likely to be charged with a crime...a big crime.

A man has to live with himself.  I know the answer for me.  It's not easy, but it's simple.
For others it gets more complicated as ability (or lack of it) and opportunity, and inner strength go whirling around like a ball on a roulette wheel, looking for a number to fall into, red or black, 5 or 13...ugh.

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.