Author Topic: The .22 Supply and Demand Dilema!  (Read 1877 times)

Taurian

• Global Moderator
The .22 Supply and Demand Dilema!
« on: November 28, 2015, 11:43:35 AM »
From the Brownell's Workbench:

The .22 Ammo Situation - We've received questions lately on something we've all been wondering about: Why is .22 rimfire ammo still "scarcer'n hen's teeth"? The shortage of centerfire stuff ended a while ago, so what's up?

Here's the scoop from some of our industry friends who are really plugged into the ammunition business. It's not as bad as it was. Rimfire ammo IS making its way onto store shelves, but demand is still sky high, so it zooms off those shelves almost instantly, usually with a limit on the number of boxes you can have.

Premium brands of .22 LR are sticking around longer in stores because customers who were willing to pay high prices just to get any .22 ammo have slowed down their buying. But the less-expensive ammo - the "buy a brick and plink all Saturday afternoon" stuff - still gets gobbled up as soon as it hits a shelf.

The biggest issue is, unlike centerfire ammo, rimfire is produced on dedicated machinery that can only load rimfire. Centerfire machines can load many different cartridges, so if there's a big shortage of .308 Winchester, the ammo factory can switch a bunch of machines over to it and ramp up supply much faster. That's why calibers that were in short supply in 2013 and 2014, like 9mm or .223 or .45 ACP, came back a lot faster.

Rimfire is a whole other ball of wax because of the way the cases are primed. It's really, really expensive and takes a long time to set up new rimfire production machinery - so costly that manufacturers can't spend the time and money to do it unless they're absolutely sure higher demand is here to stay, so the .22 LR production capacity in the U.S. isn't going to expand much any time soon. As long as demand for less-expensive rimfire ammo remains so strong, it will continue to be hard to get. Our guys tell me supply will probably stay very tight right through 2016. Wish I had better news - as soon as I do, you'll be the first to know!
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

• The Ranger Creed-words to live by
  • 2/503d INF ABN 173d BDE ABN
    • Temporary website home with basic information.
Re: The .22 Supply and Demand Dilema!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 01:44:29 PM »
Well, that's ok I guess.

Back about, ummm, 2011 I was buying a box of a hundred .22LR at the LGS when the owner appeared and announced that the .22LR he had in stock that day, was all he would have for the seeable future.
When I heard that, I bought 2 boxes.

I still have one of those boxes...and when they got more, a few months ago, I bought a box of 333 (or something like that),now I have both boxes still.

We love to shoot, but we are also realists.  No warm and fuzzy feelings that everything will be like it once was.

It makes me sad at times, that such a big part of Americana has disappeared over the horizon.  I try not to let my sadness show.  Gotta keep up spirits, gotta stay strong and be a good example for others, so when no one is watching sometimes a tear runs down a cheek for the loss of the life we old folks remember...but the youngsters will never know.

Oh well...got chores to do...so on with it!

<Sent from phone. Typos possible.>

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »
oldranger53, you are double-tapping again!

I have deleted two identical posts from you.  Ya gotta cut back on the caffeine, man!! ;D
The fact that the GOVERNMENT would even consider removing the natural right to bear arms is the very reason why the 2nd Amendment was written.

oldranger53

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:43:37 PM »
oldranger53, you are double-tapping again!

I have deleted two identical posts from you.  Ya gotta cut back on the caffeine, man!! ;D
Ok...thanks...eyes were blurry

Never shall I fail my comrades. I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight, and I will shoulder more than my share of the task whatever it may be.  One hundred percent and then some.

oldranger53

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:44:32 PM »
Hey

That's not me!

Eyes fine now

Tapatalk pro such as it is

Taurian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 03:28:46 PM »
Hey

That's not me!

Eyes fine now

Tapatalk pro such as it is

No problem! I'll just delete duplicate posts - like the one you just posted  ;D

pop pop

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 05:32:49 PM »
I was lucky to put my hands on 2000 rounds of premium 22Lr lately. First I have been willing to purchased at ?????? a reasonable price, for todays market.

I will not pay 60.00 a box for ammo, which is what guns show dealers are asking in my area, unless I am desperate, and I am not! I did pay 29.00 for bx of 555, 23.00 for 3 bxs of federal with 333 in them and son-in-law gave me aother bx of 525 Winchester. First I have seen in these price ranges for over 3 years.

I guess the days of 16.00 (555)  Wal Mart ammo are gone forever. I am religated to 22 practice until my breast bone completely heal from bypass. No serious recoil allowed.